Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, my name is Amber and I have two lovely ratties called Dusty and Pooka. I found this forum by searching how to train my ratties and I loved how this community felt so here I am.

Dusty is a REX brown hooded rat, and pooka is a black hooded rat (I think that is what they are called), they are both brothers and they are about 8-9 months old.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I live in the UK, so I got my rats from Pets at Home (I now realize I shoudn't have bought rats from a pets store). My little boys were very timid but I think I have done well to make them more open and friendly. They run to see me whenever I enter the room and things like that. Sadly I still wouldn't call them amazingly tame, even though I have had them for so long...

I can stroke them but they refuse to let me pick them up. Dusty tends to want to bite everything, starting with small nips to drawing blood, although he hasn't done that for a while. We try to get them out of their cage every day but they never really seem interested.

I get really upset because I try my hardest for my furbabies and I love them to pieces, and I know they like me back, but they never want to spend a crazy amount of time with, not letting me handle or them, or even leave the cage at all. I am hoping to get some tips from this forum.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you. They are adorable, I love them to pieces, I can't wait to share some photographs of them. :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
What cuties!! Good luck taming! I find having them in my dressing gown helps, they can smell me and they're safe and warm in a dark space so they feel safe.
Also, wear an old tshirt for a few days and then put scraps of it around their cage so they associate your smell with their home <3

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the tips. I will try the dressing gown thing. I did the old t-shirt thing but it didn't do much, haha.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts