Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, ive always wanted a pet rat my whole life.....but hamsters were the closest i was allowed...until now....i am almost 23 (9-11) and i live with my b/f..our neighbors bought two male rats (still little uns) from the local petshop...one was a little smaller than the other one, and i guess the bigger one was trying to assert his domanince or play fighting or something...they saw it and thought the bigger one was beating up on the smaller one... so they gave me the bigger one, with the warning that he bites...today is the 5th day ive had him and he hasnt even tried to bite me.....but yeah, im new, call me samster...my babys name is rocky...i also have a dove named amadeus and a dwarf hamster named one-eyed-jack....all 3 of them are rescues from assorted neighbors

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Welcome! You will probably want to get your rattie a friend. If you're worried that he really is aggressive to other rats you may want to look into getting him neutered. Rats usually do best with other rats. :)

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
welcome to the forums, and I second what forensic is saying. Rats are very social animals, and your rattie might get depressed without a friend!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know that he should have a friend of the same gender (since my b/f doesnt want to have little baby ratties) and if i had $3.00 i would.....i dont think he's aggressive toward other rats, they barly had him a day when they gave him to me.....the rat they bought to replace him(so they wouldnt just have one) was preggy and the day after they got her she had 4 little babies....so the original male was moved to a seperate cage (10 gallon tank) im wondering if rocky would tolerate having the little guy back with him....(i might ask the neighbors if i can have him, since Jellybean just had babies)....also, i didnt have alot of money when they gave him to me so i have him in a hamster cage (bought for him) i know i shoulda got like a ferrit cage with levels, but i also had to buy a cage for the dove (our neighbors gave us the dove on the same day as rocky).....im planning on getting a bigger cage when i can....but he's happy in this one for now...i even made him a hammock out of a scrap of cloth which he loves....he has a ball, but he preferrs being with me when im not working.... i know theres a lot of info and questions in this post, but i wanna do things right cuz i have wanted this for a long time, and i just want all involved people (rats are people too) to be happy and healthy.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
If you're really all that low on money you may want to consider researching rat-rescues in your area (for your neighbors little babies at least). Please inform them that the male babies will have to be taken from their mother and sisters at five weeks or else they will have more babies and that unless they are neutered the genders can't live together.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I agree with forensic, its important that your neighbors do the right thing, it is not a good idea to breed pet store rats, and i know i've said this a million times, but i honestly don't agree with breeding rats at all... there are far too many rats in need of homes as it is.

and it is a good thing that you're asking all sorts of questions and giving us the info that goes along with them, you've come to the right place to learn all about your pet, and you're going to fall more in love with rocky as each day passes! congrats!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
he just lurves to be scritched.... he got all excited when he heard me come home from work...he even tried to help out with making dinner (i put him in his cage for a bit because of that...lol) i did know about having to take the little boys out @ 5 weeks (cuz ive been going rat info crazy since i got him) and when the babies actually open their eyes, i'll tell them....the way i hear the neighbors already have homes for at least 2 (yes i know i gotta tell them that they really should give them away in same sex pairs).

·
Registered
798 Posts
very good lol, its important to gather as much knowledge as possible. Have you searched for any rescues in your area? They may be able to help your neighbors out!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts