Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, My name is Krista.
I'm 16 and trying, in vain, to allow my mom to let me get two Rats. I've dont tons of research and have the money and time, she just doesnt want me to have Rats. :(
I'm still trying though, and hope to bring home rats in about a week or two.
:)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Hello Krista, welcome to the forums!

Please take a moment to read the site rules and enjoy your stay. :)

What are your mom's arguments against you getting some ratties? Maybe we can give you some good ideas to throw back at her! :D

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Does she simply not like rats? Does she believe they are stinky? Is she afraid of them? Does she feel you will not have the time to care for them properly?

If we know what the issues are we could help find you answers. :)

In the meantime look for an appropriate cage (use the cage calculator in the 'homes' section to make sure it's big enough), food (look through the 'top foods' and other threads, many pet store foods aren't good for rats), and toys. Remember that you'll need a vet fund after buying all of this. (Listing this all out could help show your Mother that you know exactly what you're getting into. :) )

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know Me taking care of it is not an issue, as she offered to allow me to have a bunny or ferret or Chinchilla, but after researching then, I cannot compare them to rats.
I dont know exactly WHY she wont let me have them, Everytime I tell her she just says "I dont wany a D**n rat in my house!"
So I'm assuming she just doesnt like them. I have wrote out reasons why I want a pet, why I want a rat. Aftyer I wrote why I want a pet she offered then other animals, after the rat she didnt say anything about it. I'm tryig to get her to read an article in the RATS magazine I bought yesturday.
Im trying still! Due to there not being any breeders within my reach, I went to petco and found, at the time, they had 4 WEEK OLD RATS FOR ADOPTION~! So I'm really trying to get two. That was last sunday. I showed her the babies and she grunted and still said no.
Any ideas?
and thanks for the welcomes!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
It sounds like she hates or fears rats. Many people do. My father despises them and won't come near the cage when he's here. He hates their tails. A number of people at work seem to think they carry diseases.

Depending on your age it may just be a waiting game. If you bring a rat into the house without her permission many bad things could happen. You can try to win her over, but being too forceful about it will only irritate and upset her.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Welcome Faded, and I was just wondering where you lived because my Petco had 4 week old babies for adoption too, they were all males except for one female, and I can't get any more rats right now, but I wanted two of the little boys they were sooooooo cute =)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Forensic said:
It sounds like she hates or fears rats. Many people do. My father despises them and won't come near the cage when he's here. He hates their tails. A number of people at work seem to think they carry diseases.

Depending on your age it may just be a waiting game. If you bring a rat into the house without her permission many bad things could happen. You can try to win her over, but being too forceful about it will only irritate and upset her.
Well, I've brought animals into the house with just a look before, My tortoise(RIP) and two of my fish. But I know Rats will be a little bit more.. uh... senistive? then them.
I'm 16. I think I can wear her down. I'm good at it. ;)

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
The problem is, if she truly doesn't want rats in her home, she has the right to drop them off on the SPCA's door step, sell them, give them back to the petstore, etc.

Or worse, she could feel that she's allowed to poison them, let them go outside, etc. Going about behind your mother's back could result in a LOT of heartache.

Patience is a virtue here. Use logic and calm, not constant badgering.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Forensic said:
The problem is, if she truly doesn't want rats in her home, she has the right to drop them off on the SPCA's door step, sell them, give them back to the petstore, etc.

Or worse, she could feel that she's allowed to poison them, let them go outside, etc. Going about behind your mother's back could result in a LOT of heartache.

Patience is a virtue here. Use logic and calm, not constant badgering.
Yeah, I know. Had this of been another fish or turtle I wouldve done it in a heart beat. XD <3
:)

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've done that before, gone behind my mom's back and adopted a kitten. I'd been asking for another one for weeks (this was a few years ago) and she said no more cats because we had 4 at the time. But at the local shelter, I heard about a cat and her 2 babies about to be put down, so I went and brought one home. My parents were livid with anger, but they accepted her a bit later. I'll never do it again though. It's a pretty immature thing to do, as well as being unfair. I'd say my parents were pretty good about it considering what they could have done.
So anyways, when I asked my mom if I could get a rat, her answer was no. She hates them, hates their tails, thinks they stink and carry diseases, etc. But after some patience and showing her what I know about them, she eventually gave in. She even lets me keep them on the main floor where she can see them. Though she refuses to hold them, she's made some progress with petting them.
A few weeks ago, I asked to get a 3rd rat. Her answer was, yet again, no. She doesn't believe I will get a bigger cage and look after them all properly. But I already need to buy a bigger cage for Toby and Toph. So we'll see :)
Good luck. I'm sure with some patience and maturity, she'll give in.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
IM GETTING THEM!!!!!
I had a really bad day and we were in my room talking, I brought up some Videos of Rats playing on Youtube and she said I could get them after I removed my 10 gallon fish tank which is going to be taken down Tuesday afternoon (My show Bettas all have new homes and are being shipped; this was already planned). I'm REALLY excited. :)
I JUST purchased the cage, the Rat highrise from Martins cages (H600-HR)
I'm so exciteddd :D

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yay! Congrats!! I had a good feeling it would happen :D

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
FadedIntimacy said:
IM GETTING THEM!!!!!
I had a really bad day and we were in my room talking, I brought up some Videos of Rats playing on Youtube and she said I could get them after I removed my 10 gallon fish tank which is going to be taken down Tuesday afternoon (My show Bettas all have new homes and are being shipped; this was already planned). I'm REALLY excited. :)
I JUST purchased the cage, the Rat highrise from Martins cages (H600-HR)
I'm so exciteddd :D
Congratulations!! :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts