Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new at raising rats. Just got my first one about three months ago..however, running little problem. I have read that rats should kept in pairs do to being social animals. So, I been trying to do that. The first store I gotten an rat, Emily, an dumbo rat, they only had one, so we end up getting an fancy rat Lilly another store. Things going to be fine, the two get along..however, I been noticing Emily hasn't been eatting or drinking. The only time she seems active is when I check on the two where she tried her hardest to get on my shoulder. I beg my parents to see an vet..but well, she end up dieing. I wanted to at least keep lilly in pair, so end up getting angel. Unlike Emily who shown signs, Anghel just end up dieing randomly. Her and Lilly got along, she never been very active, but she got food and water. She loves to crew. I just though it's just her own personality didn't think she sick until she gone. Then now we end up Pepper. Pepper was nearly as active as Lilly is, just little bit calmer, and suddenly next day she hardly moving, she cold. She barely can get water/food. Since it been within an week(while the other two nearly three weeks) I could return her. The paper say they will get her treatment. But hard to say. Angel and Emily were from different pet stores, so I thought maybe it's that, but Pepper is from the same pet store Lilly was. All of them get exposed the same thing she has. Just only different she is perfectly healthy, they are not. My parents refuse to really take them to the vet, so reasons why Pepper is taken back to the pet store then really to an vet. There's no pet breeders that live near my location, there're another state away. So I all I can do is really pet stores. I am lost at what to do. Is it the pet stores in general, or is Lilly herself carrying an disease? I do not want her to be alone, but at this point I may not have an choose. I am just little lost of what to do.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This is why you do a quarantine process. You want to separate different new rats to prevent sickness exposure. A lot of pet stores (or at least where I live.) do not offer a health guarantee because, they simply do not care. These animals are for profit of food. It's hard to find a vet that will treat rats and if you did there is not a lot they would do (but that might just be in my area once again.). Try calling the pet store you got Lilly from and explain the problem. It could be that her litter was exposed to something new litters weren't. If you keep Pepper and this persists, try giving her apples or grapes. They are both nommy with tons of fluids. Also, do not get any more rats after pepper if they persist to become sick. Keep Lilly alone for awhile. It could be she is more immune to whatever illness she may have and signs will appear later.

If this helps, recently where I live an outbreak happened. Small animals by the dozens were dying of unknown causes. It could be going around the pet stores supply.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts