Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ohhh and also rain is more skittish... cloud happily lets you hold him and takes treats by hand. he is a bit smaller than rain. she pretty much hides as soon as she hears my voice. I just got them yesterday. rain does not want any treats by hand or anything...

·
Registered
952 Posts
there is a wonderful immersion thread that Rat Daddy wrote to help you with your skittish Rain. If you post pictures of your rats we can tell you what they are besides the obvious "Fancy Rat"

·
Registered
835 Posts
They look awfully small.. how old are they?
Cloud looks like a high white but you say he is cream so I don't know. He could also be just a cream self.
and Rain is probably a blue down under or berkshire? I don't know I am pretty knew to coloring and coats and all that.
And is one or both of them de-sexed so there's no babies?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i just got them they are really tiny... the pet store I got them from didnt tell me how old they were :/ at this time they are not desexed. I only seaid cream color for cloud because he isnt white and his eyes have a red tint ... also in the pictures it is hard to tell but his fur looks like little cowlicks all over. also they were just "
feeder" rats

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Hello and welcome! I believe rats will breed at 6 weeks of age. Cloud looks young so I don't think he is there yet, but he could be soon. Not sure if you want baby rats running all over the place ;) I'd guess cloud is a Rex. They are cute!! Are they both eating solid foods? Only reason I ask is because cloud looks so tiny!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yeah cloud has a bigger appetite than rain. is there a way to tell how old they are pther than size? I wouldnt mind babies but I dunno if having them now is wise.. with how little my babies are

·
Registered
835 Posts
Since you don't know age you should probably keep them separated until you can get at least 1 de-sexed. I suggest getting the female de-sexed since it reduced the risk of some cancers in females.

·
Registered
952 Posts
You cant talk about intentional breeding here on rat forum. There are so many health risks involved with breeding a rat that young. You could kill her and the pups. Please separate them now. Your blue/gray one could be an Irish its hard to tell from the pictures. AFRMA has all the markings and colors so you can check there. The cream boy could be anything really. Their coats change as they get older. It could darken up or become lighter.

·
Registered
835 Posts
You cant talk about intentional breeding here on rat forum. There are so many health risks involved with breeding a rat that young. You could kill her and the pups. Please separate them now. Your blue/gray one could be an Irish its hard to tell from the pictures. AFRMA has all the markings and colors so you can check there. The cream boy could be anything really. Their coats change as they get older. It could darken up or become lighter.
I am pretty sure they weren't even considering intentionally breeding them ^^

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
yeah I was not even considering. when I got them I was told 2 females . when I had a closer look when we were home was when I told hubby they were male female

·
Registered
952 Posts
Im sorry but your post said you would like babies some day but not just now. I guess I took it to mean you would wait to breed them.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
oh nonono I didnt mean babies like new borns... I suppose mine are so young they may be babies as is and working with 2 little ones will be enough for now especially with skittish rain. who I spent a bout 3 hours with them today and she is better but every sound scares her still I talk talk talk with her constantly

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
also if they can breed at 6 weeks and she was already in a mix of male and female thats not good is it?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts