Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!I'm Selz, had a pair of rats back when I was 18 or so... Shocked to realise that's 13 years or so now! I wanted a pet after moving out for university, and bought mice, which proved to be far too skittish even with lots of gentle handling. Within a month I had bought my girlies, Bob-Rat and Albino-Bob, who were amazing! They were gentle but energetic, amusing, even toilet trained. After their passing, I ended up fostering and adopting ferrets, so never got more rats as I didn't think it was fair on them to smell a predator on me, or for the ferrets to smell their favourite treat on me! As the ferrets passed, we didn't take in more as we were planning a family and my midwife told my husband and I that she didn't think the ferrets were suitable for me to be handling in pregnancy, blah blah blah. (two kids on, I would have told here where to stick that idea, but back then we were a lot greener). Fast forward to now, and my eldest who is almost 3 has been asking for a pet mouse. Not a chance of that, nor a hamster, but we did spend some time getting to meet the ratties :) and now she is in bed, I am researching cages :-D

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Don't worry though, we're not looking to get rats because of our daughter asking, it's something I have been contemplating for a while now. I know fully they will be my responsibility, and that she may well lose interest after a little while! That's why I'm happy to consider a pair of rats for her, as I like them, whereas mice or hamsters I don't! :)

·
Registered
664 Posts
Welcome to the forum! What kind of cage are you looking for? The critter nation is really great! :D

·
Registered
16 Posts
tee hee... YAY!! Time for new ratties!! Hope u find the perfect group for your family. We've got the Rat Manor cage by Petco. It was 99$, super easy to set up and clean, and PLENTY of room for our pair with tons and tons of toys and houses and hammocks. The Critter Nation cage seems to be the rolls royce of Rat cages and one day we might go for it, but for now the Rat Manor is super easy for our living situation (small condo). Highly recommend!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm in th UK, so got less cage options open to me in a decent budget, but am looking at the Tall Chinchilla, if you want to google it. Size is: 51cm deep x 60.5cm wide x 152cm high. Although, if budget allowed, I'd go for the 2 tier Midwest ferret nation! Have hankered after one for years!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Luckily I'm reasonably handy too, so putting in extra shelves and sewing some cute bedding is not a problem. Makes cage shopping easier as I know I can adapt a lot more than many! ;-)

·
Registered
479 Posts
If you get a cage designed for chins or ferrets you might have to cover the cage in hardware cloth since their bar spacing is usually bigger since those animals are bigger.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah, I've had offers of rabbit cages, but I know the wire is far to wide... That and I don't think they are anywhere near spacious enough!

·
Registered
444 Posts
How many ratties are you thinking of getting? When I had two I found that this cage was AMAZING http://www.petsathome.com/shop/en/pets/small-pet/rat/rat-homes/furet-plus-rat-cage just the right size, easy to clean great access from the top and front and small bar spacing. However it does need to be rested on something like a table, and will need a decent deep clean once a month. Pets at home also do one slightly bigger that's perfect for three rats. I recently upgraded to this http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00735L8KQ/ref=sr_ph?ie=UTF8&qid=1413146990&sr=1&keywords=Rat+cage for the price it's fantastic, however I did have to get creative with the fleece liners and it would need a bit of D.I.Y if you wanted to use substrate! I think the pros outweigh the cons for this one though and I love it! Here's a picture after a clean...

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts