Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I am new to this forum. some things about myself- love animals :roll: Owner of a bearded dragon, partial owner of a fish tank and a cat. I was randomly searching the internet, reading care sheets for things like boa constrictors ect, when rats became a curiosity, an interest, and an obsession all in one night. they really are captivating animals. I hope to be a rat owner in the near future, any tips on convincing my parents are greatly appreciated lol.

Glad to be a part of your forum!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Glade to have you!! I'm Sky14 and I've had rats for 7-8 years they're great pets! I don't know about the parent convincing unless you say more about your parents. lol Everyones parents are different so one thing will work for you but not someone else get it? You don't have to say anything if you don't want to. :)

I hope you can get a rat or 2 you should try to get 2 though becuase they'er very social animals and I hope you can get all the info you need. :)

Again welcome and hope you find what you need. :)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
welcome welcome welcome hope you enjoy it here why not let your parents read through some of these forums to comvince them there are great adorable pictures and true to life topics. just a suggestion LoL being a parent I would definitely consider something more if my children presented it to me with cold hard facts to back up the but i want it argument. Put together a presentation that might wow them LoL

·
Registered
995 Posts
THAT is a great idea Stephanie!! Try that it could work. :)

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Hello Fuzzie, welcome to the forums! :)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I made an awesome pamphlet on rats and why I should get one, I could even put it on the forum if anyone's interested. It covered every possible reason I should get a rat, and shot down every possible reason I shouldn't. The only problem is, my parents don't use reason. One said "Because I said so" and the other said "I don't want that much crap in the house"... Unfortunately I still want a rat. I plan to keep my room spotless till summer vacation then ask again.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
Fuzzie said:
"I don't want that much crap in the house"
lol. they have a point. try to find a nice cage and explain that the only actual space it will take up will be a 2ft by 2-4ft space in one corner. all ratty toys will either be inside the cage, or under it, and will be placed back in it's appropriate place as soon as out-of-the-cage playtime is over? it's the initial convincing that's the hard part. maybe get all the supplies beforehand? good luck.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Hhhmmmm........ My mom was the same to start and you wouldn't believe all the stuff I could do after I managed to get the 1st one. :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
ah, when I first brought up pet rats to my parents they freaked out and said absolutely no.
but I kept researching.
kept bringing up random facts and reasons why rats are great every single night at dinner.
be persistant.
show them tons of cute rattie pictures. those help. :D
read them info and tell them everything you know about them.

I still don't have rats yet, but I have a cage waiting to be assembled at my mum's work.
I also need to wait until my Aunt, Uncle and two little cousins move out of our house.
because I have no idea what the kids would try to do to my rats when I'm off to school. :?

but good luck to you!

·
Registered
995 Posts
Hey ohBugger you could padlock the cage..... Just a thought. :)

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Just be sure you can afford vet bills too. Lots or teens get pets that parents don't 100% approve of and they refuse to help with vet bills D: It sucks, my mom did that with my poor widdle guineia and a few dogs I had in the past D:

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's a long story involving my brother and a dead Iguana, but if my parents cave and let me get a rat, the vet bills are covered.

·
Registered
928 Posts
fuzzie, where abouts do u live? maybe if you took your parents to some1s house that owns rats they mayb pusauded in to allowing a rat or sevral :D

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Make sure your parents don't let you get A rat, they should let you get two... they do best with companionship. :)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts