Rat Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello!!
My name is Victoria,and I am owned by 4 cockatiels,2
budgies, 4 cats, 17 pet bantam chickens,6 indoor dwarf bunnies,a lovebird, several fish,2 Sun Conures, 2 green cheeked conures,a 7 year old lilac crowned Amazon,and coming soon a female rat!!!
I hope to learn lots of info,and great advice on rats from this forum.
I am planning on getting a rat in a month or 2,and I have been reasearching about them for about a month now,and found this forum today,and decided to join!
Thanks,Victoria :D

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
My suggestion would be to get two rats. ;)

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
928 Posts
hey wow what a zoo you have!! as forensic said it would be best to get 2 rats (same sex) so they can keep each other company when your with the other animals! any way welcome to te forum!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Welcome! I agree make sure you get two ratties of the same sex, and clear your calendar because all you will want to do is play with them! :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Hello Victoria, welcome to the forums :)

And yes, please do get two rats. Rats shouldn't be kept alone.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok,I am going to try to talk my parents into getting 2 rats.
I was going to get them from Petco.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Just a warning with Petco rats.

If you're getting a female she may be pregnant, depending upon the quality of the store you purchase them from. Some have been known to keep the males and females together far too long.

And either gender may be prone to illness/tumors/etc, as they are mostly bred as snake food.

On the other hand, I have four rats, all from Petco, and they're wonderful. One was skittish and shy and one was undersocialized and would fear bite. Fair warning. :)

Edit: Oh, and one more thing. Remind your parents that two cost just about the same as one and the rat will have someone to play with and not be very unhappy/sick all by itself.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks,everyone!!
The rats at Petco are kept sepratly,Males are in 1 cage and the females are in another cage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts