Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody !
Greetings from good ole Texas :D

I stumbled upon these forums while I researched about these wonderful little creatures that are rats ^_^
I'll be honest and tell you that I'm a newb and never in my life have I owned a rat...BUT, the more I read, the more I fall in love.

Therefore, I've decided to take on the task of reading up and educating myself on them as much as I can before I go out and get me a couple (*cough*or more*cough*) of ratties :D

And, what better way to do this than by surrounding myself by knowledgeable rat owners ? :p

I've been reading, researching and so on, for about...two weeks now. I've learned so much already, but I know there's still a lot more to learn. (I'm not getting my ratties anytime soon, probably by the end of the year, beginning of next) so here I am, always willing to learn more ^_^

·
Registered
798 Posts
Welcome! all you have left to do, is find yourself a nice shelter or a reputable breeder! I'm glad to hear that you researched them before actually going out and getting one. Most people opt for pet stores when they first start out with rats.. but if you want a healthy one your best bet is to see a breeder.. a responsible one.. Since you're new to rats and might not know what a responsible breeder is, then I would reccommend using a shelter..(Actually, i always reccommend shelters, because as cute and loveable as they are, rats are overpopulated and there are far too many in dire need of homes)
Again, I welcome you and enjoy, this is a great place to learn!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the welcome :)

I've been trying to find a reputable breeder somewhere around here (I live in a relatively small and unknown city), but so far I've had no luck, the closest ones are located in the Houston area and that's a six + hour drive under the Texas sun :?

I'm hopeful that I might be able to find a couple of rats in need of a home at the local SPCA. (No luck so far :()

·
Registered
798 Posts
Honestly, if the SPCA doesn't have any rats then I'm sure they can hook you up with a rescue agency somewhere around you. I have two little sweethearts comming from a rescue in the comming weeks.. one is a black hooded dumbo female, and the other is one of her babies, a grey self dumbo female.. I'm very anxious, and I think it is very important to provide safe homes for the rats that need them the most, if you want some help located a rat shelter around you I can try to search for you, anywhooo lemme know :) i always like to help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts