Rat Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
im new to owning rats but ive gotten a pair of females at petco yesterday.
their names are Miss Jangles and Rosie.
i need help with them though everytime i put my hand near or in the cage they go straight to biting hard and they chew on the cage and try and escape when i open the door. they also chase eachother and fight but i dont know if they are playing or not.
PLEASE HELP!!!

·
Registered
207 Posts
Maybe they came as feeders usually feeders are meaner but it depends also how big is the cage and does it have lots for them to do they might want to leave so they can play

·
Registered
555 Posts
Maybe they came as feeders usually feeders are meaner but it depends also how big is the cage and does it have lots for them to do they might want to leave so they can play
Not all feeders are meaner. A rat advertised as a pet at a pet store could be just as mean to be honest...

Both my girls were feeder rats and are as sweet as can be.

When you open the cage, have a treat and give it to them and talk to them. Eventually they will catch on that your hand brings good things, and it's not something to bite. Also, when they bite, let out a squeal like they do when they're play fighting. That will let them know that you don't like it and hopefully they will catch on to that also.

Good luck with your babies :).

·
Registered
207 Posts
I didn't mean like all are mean I just mean that a quite a few can be snippy at first I agree that there are plenty of very sweet feeder rats

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
they are getting a tad bit nicer but but run to the wall of the cage and sniff and bite and get very energetic too when im next to it. is this also normal?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts