Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I'm a new rat owner. I rescued my little girl from a pet store where she was being bullied by the larger rats in the tank and they were going to sell her as a feeder since she wasn't considered hand tame. Poor girl shook so hard when I held her I just had to bring her home. We had her two weeks and during that time she was so sweet and curious and bacame my 9 year olds best friend. She was getting fat but figured she was too young to be preggo and just needed a different wheel to run on instead of her using the thing for storage of bedding and treats. This last weekend my baby rat became a mommy rat and has turned into the evil rabbit from Monty Python and the holy grail bound and determined to draw blood to any appendage that dare enter the domain of her and her kittens. For one so young she seems to be taking care of her babies which is good. My question to every one is how long till I might be able to risk picking her up again without risking a finger? Some time soon I will need to isolate her to check on the babies and see if I can determine boys from girl so I can work to find them new homes. Any advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
She did seem to be interested in coming out to visit earlier today stretching up and nibbling on the string of my hoodie. I didn't risk it though I'm still healing from putting her fresh veggies food and water in there yesterday. I read that protein is good for nursing moms.... Just cold scrambled eggs or tofu in a dish for her? I saw mention of soy milk but wouldn't that make a mess between spilt milk and blood from me while trying to clean up the milk? I suppose the extra iron wouldn't hurt her much but I seriously yeouch I'm not a fan of blood donation by teeth.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Love the sound of the squeeks of the babies. They sound like baby birds. Can't wait for two weeks when this eyes open and they start exploring and playing! Mad at the pet store though for their mistreatment of their rats between the bullying and pregnancy of such a young rat. When I got her she had a small wound on her tail and a wet mark on her side. Not sure what happened but within a day she lost a patch of fur about the size of an old school silver dollar to the skin and you could see small wounds. A bit of neosporin plus did the trick though and her fur is growing back nicely.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts