Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I am new to the forum. I have always been fascinated about rats but never found one I really liked. Until I found a Dumbo rat at the pet store a few months ago. He is great, he's a cream colored one. I had to take him to the vet last week, here he had lice. The vet thinks that the pet store sold me him that way. I really want to get him a friend but I don't want to get him at a pet store. I play with him as much as I can but, I think he wouldn't mind having a friend too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi, i'm new to the forum too. I would say it would be good to look into getting a friend for your rat. my first rats were pet store rats but after one of them passed away I didn't know any better than to just keep her alone. I played with her a lot but I don't think it replaces a little furry friend.
If your looking for non pet store rats you could look into rescues, they are generally all over and if there is one you fall in love with one too far away then you might be able to form a rat train to get the baby to you. Another option is breeders if you can find one who is reputable, or the last option is a site like craigslist, but if you go there be careful and ask LOTS of questions. I looked into a few ratties from craigslist in my area and the people were not very forthcoming when I asked questions so I ended up looking elsewhere. Sometimes on rat boards they have an adoption section and there just might be a little fuzzbutt near you that a responsible rat owner can't take care of anymore.
I wish you the best of luck with your new friend, think rats are one of the best companions you can get!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I am new to the forum too. It is hard sourcing good rats everywhere it seems! Pet shops are always a gamble as you know nothing about their history. Breeders are a better option but rats still and do continue to suffer from a wide range of illnesses. Its a real challenge to produce good health and good nature. I totally agree with mightywhiskers42 they are fantastic companions!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hey there! I am new here as well. I definitely think you should get at least one buddy for your rat. I would either get a rat from an owner who needs to find them a new home, or look at a rat from a rescue. Rats at pet stores are 9 times out of 10 feeder rats for snakes, and not very well taken care of. You wouldn't want to introduce illness to your rattie.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is only my second time on here. I wanted to know if anybody knew anyone that would like a cream colored dumbo rat? He's a really nice fellow, it's just that my health is getting worse and I can't give him the amount of attention he deserves. I bought him in November 2014. I live in Ohio.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts