Rat Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

All my life I thought rats were "icky" mostly because my parents always said that. I thought having pet rats was odd, maybe because you hear about them being a pest so much in society.

This year started off horrible and traumatic for me and I thought getting a pet would help us through this hard time. We discussed rabbits or a cat, but when I saw an ad for three female six-month old rats who needed a new home, I knew they would be perfect for us. The first time we met them, I was completely smitten with them.

They came in a small cage, with no bedding and the previous family didn't really care for them. Our new ratties became my life. We bought them a double Ferret Nation, and adopted two more baby females. They get so much attention and love (and so many toys and treats! ;)). I can't believe how much happiness they bring our family.

I could never see myself with out them now; I think I will always have pet rats (and I love that my kids say the same). And I hate that I missed out on having them as pets for so long because of my ignorance.

Happy to be here!

·
Registered
18 Posts
awesome ! welcome to the community :) the double ferret nation is such a sweet cage! i hope one day to get one hehe

·
Registered
3 Posts
i saw your post, about them being "icky", and it made me laugh...i thought the same thing until my daughter was taken to the pet store for a small rodent...she went right fo the rats! i thought, are you serious!!!??? and yes! she was dead serious...to humor her, we got a rat and named him ethan...he quickly became my best freind, and hers too! he has since past on to rat heaven...it was far more sad than i thought was possible...we had a burial for him and waited for some time before getting the two female babies that we now have! they are more affectionate than my cats! and i love them! anyways, just wanted to say "hey" and have fun with your rats!!! have fun training them too!!! they are like training dogs, with how smart they are! loads of entertainment...;D

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Welcome.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you everyone :)

And Geneva: glad I'm not alone! I agree - our ratties are so much more affectionate then any cats we've had. They picked up litter training within a couple days too. I'm just so amazed by their intelligence and what incredible companions they are.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome Rattrio. I too a new to the world of rats. This appears to be a wonderful source for great information and guidance. Looking forward to hearing more from you in the future.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome! My parents also thought they were icky and because if that I was never able to have any. I've a few hamsters and my god! The difference of the two! My ratties are so sweet and smart!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome!! I once thought the exact same thing as well did my friends and family and now most of them have changed their opinions because of my two girls!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Haha, i think at some point in their life, all rat owners thought rats were gross & weird. But once they felt the love of one lol the most adorable little fuzzy ever.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts