Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, name is Tim. I have owned rats in the past, but never knew an online community existed. Today, I got my new rat. His name is Remy, and he is your generic pet store rat. I know, pet store rats are usually a no no...but its hard to find breeders around here.

Anyway, yesterday I saw him, checked him out. No discharge from the nose or eyes, bright, big eyes, no parasites, no rattle, no sneezing or wheezing.

I pay for him, have them hold him, go home and set up the cage. Today, I get him home (sadly, kind of a long drive...) and put him in his cage. Now, he is sneezing like crazy, and making other weird sounds. Almost like a wheezing. It's very audible as I sit 15 foot away from him. I'm worried, because my previous rats where all very healthy and died of old age. I've never had a rat act like this before. He lets me pet him a little, but is still a little skittish. I can pick him up after a few minutes of letting him sniff me (and sneeze a lot). He also immediately started using the litter box...a first for me! The pet store was feeding him Rat and Mouse food (with all the seeds and nuts and veggies) but I have gotten some lab blocks for him, which he hasn't really done much with yet. I think he might have nibbled one of them.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I am a little worried about the wheezing and sneezing, any ideas? Could it just be the stress?

·
Registered
626 Posts
Welcome! His sneezing could be a result of many diffrent things. For one he could be just plain old sick, and if thats the case you should take him to the vet. Another thing could be that he could be on dusty bedding. Brands such as Kaytee can be very dusty and make rats sneeze. Also if you have him/her on pine of cedar bedding you should a diffrent type asap seeing as those two woods are poisinous to rats.(I use aspen) The last reason I can think of would be the "new home" sneezies. All the new smells in hie new home could be over whelming his senses and if this is the case, it should clear up in a few days-a week. If the sneezing persists, take him/her to a vet. Hope this helped! What a cute little rat you have by the way!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He has stopped sneezing...now he is just sitting in his little house...scared of the new world around him...I am using the shredded paper bedding...I had degus and rats in the past, one of my degus died due to pine shavings, so I switched immediately to shredded paper and haven't looked back. Its also a lot easier to clean up, hides odor better, and doesn't look as bad when there is poo mixed in with it...

Hopefully he will start taking to me soon...I hope so anyway...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts