Rat Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello

I live in the UK and bought 2 young female ratties about 8 weeks ago now but have run into problems and need advice :(

Will put a more detailed history on the rat behaviour section but thought I should say hi first!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well I still cant start a post so will just put in here and hope someone has some advice for me..

As I said above bought 2 female rats about 8 weeks ago when they were approx. 10/12 week old. All was going well until this weekend, I had no problems with aggression they were friendly and would come up to the front of the cage and sniff and lick our fingers (my 11 year old daughter and myself) and never nibbled or bit us. They were happy to let us handle them and would come and sit on our hands if we opened the door and rested our hands on the floor of the cage.

Until this weekend when I had to go away for a few days and leave them in the care of my ex-husband..Firstly I had a call sunday night to say he had come in in the evening to find one of them dead on bottom of cage, In the morning she had been jumping and climbing around like normal :( so that was devastating. Still trying to decide whether to get her post mortemed :(

The one that's now left we can tell she is lonely and I want to ask advice about possibly taking on a rescue one and introducing them, I do have a spare cage I can separate them in until they are used to each other. But the other problem with my girlie now is that when we put our fingers up to the cage like we used to for her to sniff she now tries to bite and has actually drawn blood on me tonight. I think whats happened is when ex hubby fed them he poked the rat nuggets through the bars of the cage because he was scared of letting them out the door and now she associates fingers with food which is what I didn't want!

So please any advice at all about what could have happened to the one that died, what I can do about the biting and how I go about introducing a new friend or two for my remaining rattie

I would really appreciate it, Thank you

1 - 2 of 2 Posts