Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I joined to get some knowledge and help because I am planning to get rats very soon. I'm really excited, and I have been wanting a new pet for a while, but something smaller than a cat. So I thought I'd check out rodents, and I learnt that rats are smart little things, loving too. That and they are adorable!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey, and if anyones got tips on rat care, like what brand of food I should buy, what toys will a rat enjoy, that'd be great too!

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
Hello. Welcome to the forum :)

What type of food you feed depends a bit on where you live. If you are in the US, lab blocks are the ideal choice. The top three brands are oxbow, native earth and mazuri. I prefer oxbow myself but I would look into those and decide for yourself. Giving fresh veggies daily is also a good idea.

Some rats do not often just play with toys in the same way a cat or dog would. Giving them things to throw around like cat balls, TP rolls, scraps of paper, etc... stuff to chew on like wooden blocks- an item called the knot knibbler is a fav of mine. Interactive toys and getting them outside of the cage to play, explore and climb in and on is fun.

Make sure to get multiple rats of the same sex (unless they are fixed). You shouldnt keep one rat they do best in groups of 2+

1 - 3 of 3 Posts