Rat Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up my first two little rats today. :) they are two gorgeous females, I'm still working on names! They are in their new cage, but they are very shy and skittish. I want to begin bonding with them but how long should I wait before taking them out and holding them? I want them to feel comftorable with me, any tips?? Please help! Thank you! Will post pics soon. :)

·
Registered
995 Posts
Give the first few pages of the Immersion sticky a skim! Its what a lot of people use to bond with their rats here on the forum. Get them out and start playing with them right away! When you bring a new dog or cat home, do you put them in a cage and leave them for hours except for food? The faster you show your rats you are nothing to be afraid of and you are a loving parent and friend, the faster they will trust you.

My first 2 babies I left for a few days, tentatively petting them. I was afraid of pushing them. They grew up to be shy and not very loving towards me. While this may be their personalities, my second pair I followed the Immersion guide and had them out for a few hours as soon as I brought them home. I handled them much more confidently and consistently and they are MUCH more outgoing and friendly towards me than my first two. I love them all but I wish I had found the guide before I got any rats at all!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Yeah I would get in there straight away, start handling them and playing with them as soon as you can. I had the same experience as PaigeRose, my first two boys were so shy and reclusive as I left them for a couple of days and was really timid with them...whereas my current three are such a handful! Definitely give immersion a try it's great, I also find that carrying them around in a hoodie or something is a great way for them to get used to noises and you :)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Fairly big, firm treats (like uncooked pasta or kibble style treats) held on the very edge, so they have plenty to grab without accidentally nipping fingers - my boys were very persuaded by food! Don't feed through the bars either, it can make them more liable to nip any fingers that get in there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.