Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like most rats, my baby Madeline has fast-growing teeth. Unfortunately an unexpected lack of funds saw her without anything to chew on for a few days. Her teeth grew unexpectedly quickly and we're very worried about them growing too long and hurting her too horribly.

We've trimmed the teeth going upward toward her brain so she should be fine there, but her top teeth are growing down and causing her too much pain. She has one abcess on her upper lip, and we'll take care of that as the instructions say in this forum, but as with the other teeth she squirms a bit too much for us to safely take care of the problems without threat of hurting her.

I love that she's still spunky, wiggly, and active despite her pain, but it's become a problem. What I want to know is if there's a safe way to sedate her at home so that we can take care of her teeth and clean out the abcess without her squirming being a problem.

Any prompt help would be so appreciated.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
you should never attempt to sedate your pets or anyone for that matter because you could overdose them & cause their heart to stop

sounds like vet time

as for squirming... my only suggestion would be a tight wrap in a hand cloth, you can stop the kicking but the head will be free to move

As for the teeth growing to the point of trimming... you should not have an issue unless there is a problem with your rats tooth alignment (malocclusion) & if that is the case then teeth trimming will be an every other week ordeal to which making arrangements with a vet may be the best way to handle this

·
Registered
486 Posts
I reguarly give my girls a Bonio (Dog biscuit) to help gnaw their teeth down. A tasty treat and keeping my girls healthy and happy in one!

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
Rats keep their teeth ground down by bruxing, not chewing on food items of chew toys. You could keep a rat in an empty cage and if it had properly aligned teeth it would never have a tooth problem.

Did a vet show you how to trim her teeth? If not you can do real damage and splinter teeth up into her skull :(

I would take her to the vet if they haven't shown you how to do it properly.

Are her teeth mallocluded?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
allaina said:
Other than food (if that works) how would you suggest filing or keeping the teeth down??
If the teeth are normal, they don't really need anything.

Else, a vet can teeth you to snip them.

·
Registered
500 Posts
lilspaz68 said:
Rats keep their teeth ground down by bruxing, not chewing on food items of chew toys. You could keep a rat in an empty cage and if it had properly aligned teeth it would never have a tooth problem.
How cool...I never knew that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts