Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I got my first pair of rats (sisters) in June of 2014 and they have been an absolute joy. I recently upgraded to a double critter nation (love it!) and looked into adding two little girls to the group (my original two were from the pet store, but my best guess at their age is about 9-10months old). I found a breeder nearby who I've been corresponding with and I will be getting two lovely babies tomorrow morning. Here's the thing though - she just informed me that there's a third (the three little ones are sisters) and they're quite bonded so she'd love if I would take all three (still for the price of two, so I know she's not just trying to push a sale). But - the jump from two rats to five seems daunting! I've got the cage space and I've researched intros, but here's my concern - whether I get the two or all three (really though, knowing me I'm caving and doing the three - it only seems right) how can I 'tell' my original two that they are still loved and so important to me? I know it might sound like a silly question but.. the girls and I have really bonded. I just want to make sure that as the group size increases, they don't feel left out or something.. any tips? I just want to be the best I can for all of them - but I want to make sure the two don't feel 'replaced'.
And if I haven't made my decision by the time someone replies - would you go for the three or the two?

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I'm a sucker, so I'd get all three lol. As far as how adding new rats affects how your older girls feel about how much attention you give them...I can't really say. I've always been one to let my rats come to me for attention. Yes, I'll go to the cage when it's not free range and play with them, but if someone doesn't come to me for attention, I don't force it on them. I've never noticed and change in reaction to me from any of my rats when adding a new one. Just keep things the same and include everyone in what you do.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Great question and response! After they're all introduced, I'd spend some quality time with just you and the original two girls---if you think they'd enjoy that. Who knows, they may prefer to spend the time playing with their new friends! It is a whole different experience going from two to five rats. Have fun!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts