Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a baby rat to join my 2 adult girls. I was thinking I'd like to try a pink eyed white this time since I've never had one.

Someone across the state posted a litter of 5-week-old Oops babies on facebook. She said that 4 of them had homes, but she needed homes for the other 4. One of the rats pictured was this one:

So I signed up to take her.

They are being transported this weekend. Yesterday I got a message that they have reserved "a white female" for me. That's when I found out there are 2 pink-eyed-white females in the litter. I have no idea if I'll be getting the one pictured.

So now I'm wondering if I should take a rat I haven't met, or even seen. I know I shouldn't choose a rat strictly on appearance, and I was really hoping to have the experience of letting a rat choose me. The owner says that this litter - an oops litter from a feeder bin mom - has been socialized every day with various different people who come over to play with them, and also with their various resident rats. The babies seem very bright, curious and alert in the pictures. That alone is a huge plus. But. . . making a 2 year commitment to an unknown is a bit worrisome.

Should I go ahead and take her, and see how it works out? Or should I call this off and look locally for a litter that I can interact with? Help!

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The girl told me that she is able to tell the 2 white females apart. But she was in a hurry to pack them for the trip and forgot to mark them. They are with her dad now and she's going to try to get her dad to distinguish between the two, based on their behavior.

I'm just laughing at the futility of it all. Bottom line is, I'm going to get a random white female rat who has been properly socialized - could be worse. This is probably better that I'd do getting a rat from a feeder bin. So I will leave this to fate and hope that the rat I end up with is a good one.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I, surprisingly, know exactly how you feel! When choosing my boys from my breeder(which I assume was an oops litter, now that I've had a long time to reflect) I had picked out a variegated boy with a specific pattern. -I- knew which one I wanted, but the one I got well.. he wasn't it!

So now I have a bunch of baby pictures of a vari boy that isnt my own. :p The boy I have is a little awkward and shy, and I often wonder how the one I initially chose turned out to be.

Even with those lingering thoughts, I don't regret it. I love Lewis and all his awkward behavior.
And about those pictures, I just pretend that they're Lewis. Nobody else has ever noticed it was a different rat entirely. ;)

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tok, thank you so much for your reply!! I feel like I'm going nuts here, about to take in a rat who I haven't met. It does irk me the way some people consider all rats to be the same, without taking the time to notice the subtle differences that make them unique. I guess this kind of thing happens a lot. But your post helped to reassure me that no matter what kind of personality she has, I will bond with her and love her.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm sure there are lots of little rat mixups. I met the breeder outside a pet store, so there was no chance for me to correct her mistake. You tend to bond to rats even through pictures, learning more about them and watching them grow up through still images or even videos.. it is a little heartbreaking when you don't get the rat you chose.

But Lewis is adorable, and I fell in love with him the second I held his little fuzzy self. The new bond I had with this rat was much more fulfilling than the attachment I held to a rat in a photo. He turned out to be a great rat, very awkward and shy, but he is extremely intelligent and loves learning new tricks. He's very eager to figure out problems and solve them in order to get a reward. He tends to have a habit of licking my hands for at least 30 minute sessions.. I usually end up covered in rat spit.

So while there may be a lingering thought from time to time, you are right, you will bond with her and love her no matter what. And it will be an amazing adventure. ^^

My pink eyed white was my heart rat, Izzy. She was a spitfire and SO social.. and also too intelligent for her own good. What Izzy was lacking in color, she made up for in personality. Best rat. :)

·
Registered
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for telling me about Izzy - that is a great name! This baby will be my first pink eyed white, and I'm not sure what to expect. I hope she's like Izzy. Right now I'm just trying to RELAX and be open to whatever comes my way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts