Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening! I usually let my male and female rats have a little bit of playtime every few days.

I usually check all of my females before putting them in to make sure they aren't in heat before placing them in but I forgot to check one of them ...

She gets pursued, I go to break it up, but it's a scramble and she gets mounted before I can grab her and she's got some liquid on her nethers. She was doing "the pose" so I panicked and placed her in the travel carrier and got the other girl out (not in heat but I will not have her be bullied if the boys are going to be so belligerant) I gave her a bath a few hours ago, she's not picky about where/when she pees, and she's pretty much dry from the bath but in case it is that, it is worth mentioning... I'm not sure if I should like, give her another bath? Should I try to wipe her off?? I will absolutely take care of her and her babies if there are any but I wasn't sure if there are any things I could do to make sure she didn't get "got". I saw in some reading to look for a "plug" and she didn't have one, but I'm going to go and check the cage for any such thing.

Please let me know if you have any ideas!! :( I messed up not checking her earlier and I definitely need to make sure the next time there's any male/female hangouts to check and be able to grab easier in case of trouble but if possible I'm looking for suggestions on the pregnancy concern primarily ! Thanks

·
Registered
819 Posts
You can ask your vet if there's a way to terminate a possible pregnancy.

I wouldn't suggest ever allowing your males and females near each other for any reason, whatsoever. There's no reason to let them interact, ever, unless you specifically want to breed them.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the reply !! I'm hoping to get some advice from them tomorrow. The vet I've taken them to before doesn't specialize in rats but they did a pretty great job with our smallest girl when she got sick shortly after adoption. They seemed hesitant to offer any advice when I asked if they provided neutering / spaying for rats so I have a feeling they might not have a lot to offer for reproductive services ... If that's the case I'll have to call around.

Our boys have definitely been more territorial with each other lately (youngest boy got a lot bigger recently and is now vying with our usual "king" for what I assume is an alpha role) ... I have a feeling you're very right and I should keep their hangouts same-sex only. If you happen to know, will there be any problems if I were to use the same free-roam area for both? (e.g. girls have free roam time, I put the girls away, then boys get free roam time) Like will the smell of other rats / girl rats having been there specifically cause any issues / aggression?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts