Rat Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi my dad was looking at a pet forum and he saw someone selling a 4 ft cage and you got the 4 rats with it ( 1 boy 3 girls) when me and my dad went and got them and brought them back home there cage was not cleaned its looks like the person kept them in the shed or something.
The boy is very big and he looks healty but the girls have sore eyes and dried blood round them there not compatable with me yet to try and wipe the dried blood of there fur but the other thing is that 2 of the girl are pregnant , my 1st rat i had got pregnant accidently so i know what to do but ive seperated the girls away from the male but i dont know how many weeks long they are the 2 girls but they are quite big im still not sure if the 3rd girl is pregnant i crnt really tell any suggestions
bye x

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Help

oh and is it wise to keep them together and the girls are sister's cuz there all the same colour (cream) and they al have white marking on there heads. they've been getting ust to me now letting me pick them up and is licking there private parts a sign of labour? cuz one of them keeps doing it should i seperate or just wait? i just dont want none of the babies getting attacked i would really appreciate if some one could give me some like opions oh 1 more question will the boy who we've called bubba will he get lonely???

·
Registered
10,641 Posts

2 for sure are pregnant? How big are the bellies? How old are these rats?

Yes the boy will get lonely, but you can keep a baby or 2 from one of the litters to keep him company later on.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

from the exsperience of my other rat i had about a year ago she got quite big anyways they urrm look like there ready to give bith and im not sure how old they are i might email the person who gave them me and ask him but i would sey there about 10 months but im ot sure and i found out how they are getting bloody eyes when they clean themselves there nails like strach there eyes even thow the nails are in good condittion and not long at all , i have cutters but there mostly for ferrets becuase i have 3 so il have to get rat cutters tomorrow.
thanks for the reply xx

p.s there names are: marley,mable,twirl and the boy is bubba

·
Registered
10,641 Posts

the "bloody" eyes aren't really blood, its porphryin that a rat will exude from their nose and eyes. Its a sign of stress, illness or eye injury.

what do you have for maternity cages/tanks? do you have 2 of them?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

i hav a cage whats like plastic all round but wire at the top where you open it so and the other is a wire cage where with little holes and it has a deep base so no babies can exscape but im just worried that one of them will have the babies when im asleep or not in the room and the other girls will hurt or take the babies of the mum rat ?

·
Registered
482 Posts

That is possible. You need to seperate the pregnant girls and put them into different cages!

Does anyone have the link to those tub cages? I should bookmark that, it's very useful for making cheap and easy cage solutions.

{edit} HERE IT IS! http://www.dapper.com.au/articles.htm#cage

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

omg you are life savers my dad can make them he's got like a hott iron thing what burns though plstic

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

No babies yet but i woke up and found marley who's one of the rats who's more pregnant she got out of the cage i made her and she was all the way over the other side of my room sitting next to one of her sisters (mable) cage is it that she misses her or somthing and i thought she was having them last night but no babys but i think she had a good adventure lol

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

closer said:
No babies yet but i woke up and found marley who's one of the rats who's more pregnant she got out of the cage i made her and she was all the way over the other side of my room sitting next to one of her sisters (mable) cage is it that she misses her or somthing and i thought she was having them last night but no babys but i think she had a good adventure lol
be sure to secure that cage better because the last thing you want her to do is wander off & drop those babies somewhere that could be harmful

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

yeh i think it was my fault because i had made likerat pouches out of a dressing gown so i went in there i think i didnt push the lid on properly but im glad she's safe and i hope her babys are safe and there all loving it here with me and its nice and warm in my room and im always in there so there getting alot alot of attention

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

so take the picture's with the camera above them
so then u can see how wide they are i see ok ill do them now

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

ive put the new pictures on but i dunno i ive done it right lol

·
Registered
2,160 Posts

how long have you had her now?

she doesn't look too big in the new pics you posted, if she is pregnant she is most likely at a half way mark & babies would be a week, week & a half out

it is so hard to tell in photos but I will tell you that most females get really big just before they have their babies & she doesn't look big... she is either not very far along, is going to have a small litter or she isn't pregnant

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

no i have 3 pregnant if u read next to the pictures there names i didnt get them pregnant i was giving them because they was unwanted and when i got them you can tell there pregnant so i dont know how old they are .dont know how long pregnant they are ive had them a week on saturday

1 - 20 of 49 Posts