Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lola's toe is all bloody, and it looks like she might have torn off a nail. There's blood drying on her foot, but it looks like she's not in much pain, it's hard to tell.. Should I just wipe it down with water and toilet paper? Leave it, so she can clean it herself? Should I put her in a different place from the other two?
Help!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually I do believe the foot pains her, she just tried to balance on it to scratch her side with her other foot- kind of started, and stopped. Started again, stopped again, and finally twisted around to get at the spot with her mouth instead.

But she also jumped up to the edge of the cage with reckless abandon, and it's no longer bleeding.

I was on my way to bed, so I put her back in her cage with Belgie and Sevilla... upon closer inspection, there's blood spots on the blanket on the bed, an alarming amount. She must have bled very quickly, since all was well when I went to go brush my teeth. But I can't figure out what could have caught her nail, the spots are just in the middle of the blanket.

So I will see how she's doing in the morning, but right now I'm guessing (okay, maybe hoping, too, but I won't hesitate if she needs me) that there will be no need for a vet visit tomorrow. But if you all think she'll need meds for this (I can't see any open wound, just blood and no more toe nail, so I'm not sure what the chances of infection are), then I'll schedule an appointment.

Any advice would be super appreciated!

·
Registered
393 Posts
If you have corn starch dip the nail in that, it will help stop the bleeding. Otherwise it should be fine on it's own :).

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Maybe a dab of Neosporin Plus on the toe. Just watch for it to swell up a lot, change colors, etc, that may mean there's an infection.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, I'll keep a close eye on it. Thanks!

She looks okay today- I can see the hole where here toenail used to be, it's really gross (to me), but doesn't look like it's getting infected at all, or anything. I think it opened a little in the night, there are a few spots here and there on their fleece, but it looked okay to me this morning.

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
My rat tore off a nail and was fine. o.o

·
Registered
130 Posts
That's exactly what happened to Artemis! His nail hooked in my shirt and he tore it off. I let it be, and even though it's still a little swollen, it looks better and isn't favoring his paw.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I still have no idea what happened, but probably something like getting it caught on the flannel blanket. But luckily the bleeding stopped pretty soon after I posted, and now the nail is growing back in without any troubles.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Nico has ripped off his fair share of toenails.. he's almost prone to it.. poor fella. Once was on my shirt, another time was when he was crawling down from my bed... I dabbed the toe at the time and left him be, but watched it, he's now fine.

One of his toenails grew back and started to curl under, though, so I have to maintain that one, but otherwise he's been alright.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts