Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have six female rats I rescued from a local rescue. They live in a four critter nation cage (two double critter nations connected) I spend time with them every single day. I can hand feed them treats however they will not come out of the cage. I don’t want to force them but I also want to continue the bonding process since I have had them close to two months now and I know being in the cage constantly is not ideal for them. How do I encourage development without making anyone more nervous?

·
Registered
783 Posts
I scoop new rats up and bring them out of the cage for daily playtime/interaction. Sometimes new rats can be a bit wary and just want to hide while out of the cage. If this is the case, I'll wear a robe or baggy sweatshirt and let them hide while snuggled up close to me. ...or I'll put a small blanket over my legs and let them hide while snuggled up close to my legs. They soon get brave and start poking their heads out and exploring.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would say you can lure your rats out with treats and get them confident enough to come out themselves. While luring them out they might run around their cage or groom themselves and you should just let them, it might take awhile depending on the rat but once they can do it themselves they become more confident rats overall. You can also try luring them onto you, then walk around to get them used to being out of the cage while still near you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would say you can lure your rats out with treats and get them confident enough to come out themselves. While luring them out they might run around their cage or groom themselves and you should just let them, it might take awhile depending on the rat but once they can do it themselves they become more confident rats overall. You can also try luring them onto you, then walk around to get them used to being out of the cage while still near you.
thank you for the advice! I just want to bond with my babies!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I scoop new rats up and bring them out of the cage for daily playtime/interaction. Sometimes new rats can be a bit wary and just want to hide while out of the cage. If this is the case, I'll wear a robe or baggy sweatshirt and let them hide while snuggled up close to me. ...or I'll put a small blanket over my legs and let them hide while snuggled up close to my legs. They soon get brave and start poking their heads out and exploring.
Thank you! I got one of those hoodies with the “cat” pocket. Hopefully my more confident rats will be willing to come out and snuggle in this. I’m just so worried about scaring my timid rats more :(

·
Registered
783 Posts
I would suggest picking up your rats and bringing them out of their cage. Snuggling in your pet hoodie is a great idea! Don't be afraid of your rats. They'll quickly learn that getting picked up isn't so scary after all. If you don't pick them up, they'll never have the chance to get used to it!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts