Rat Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of my female rats has a orange, bumpy, scaly thing along the top of her tail and the other on has a dry tail, they always have water, however they are feed on dry food, why should I do? They both seem to be healthy and happy in every other way....

·
Registered
153 Posts
You could try washing her tail with some mild soap, only rub her tail from base to tip though, not the other way! And then rub some olive or coconut oil on it.
That should help, unless I'm wrong about their tails just being dry and dirty. It won't hurt to try it though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I'll wash the today, the one with the stuff on her tail insists on sleeping on the top shelf which is always dirt despite having multiple beds elsewhere so that makes sense! Is a no tears baby shampoo alright?

·
Registered
350 Posts
Maybe you could make a fleece cover for that shelf to keep the dirt down or wipe it with unscented baby wipes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've tried putting bedding on the shelf but she kicked it off again and I do wipe it down, but obviously not enough
so I'll start doing It more often! Both rats had a bath today, the dirtier one tolerated It but jumped up and hid in my hair half way through and the other one hated It and ended up nestled in my arm while I rinsed her with water (I put a tiny bit of baby shampoo in the water, but that was it). I've ended up soaking wet with two damp but dirt free rats and the stuff on her tail has completely gone (other than a bit of discolouring that they both have always had). I've made a peace treaty with hand fed double cream which they have both happily excepted! Thanks for everyone's help (again)!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts