Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went on a trip this weekend and left the girls in the capable hands of my roommate, who has watched them many times before and is very good with them. When I got home this evening she told me that she had broken up a fight this afternoon. I was not initially concerned, because the girls tussle loudly really frequently, and as there hasn't been blood I've been told that it's fine.
Because my roommate told me she had to break it up, though, I checked both girls over. I can't find any wounds anywhere on either of them, but the younger one had dried blood on her whiskers and a bit on her ear.
I don't know what to do. I am concerned that the tussles are escalating into legitimate fights. I can't even tell who got hurt because I can't find a wound on either of them! I've only got one cage and a carry kennel, so I can separate them if I need to but not long-term. It's been suggested to me that I get a second young rat, but if one of them is becoming aggressive I don't know if introducing a new cage-mate will help...
Any suggestions or advice would be very welcome.

·
Registered
503 Posts
Are you sure it wasn't porphyrin? I've seen it manifest on ears before, and if there was some in her eye it's possible it got onto her whiskers as well...

It's possible you being gone may have stressed them out? If you're hoping for the best, consider that. I'd watch them and see how they act for a few days, but if all seems normal... I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was definitely blood. I thought porphyrin at first, but the blood on the whiskers had dried bright red as opposed to the scab color of porphyrin. I cleaned it off of her with a baby wipe and now I'm separating them every time there is a squeak. It's going to be a very long night.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Did a little more searching and found a wound in Grizz's armpit. I am so frustrated and worried, and she won't let me look at it very well.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I doubt the wound is serious from the small amount of blood so i wouldnt stress too much about not being able to look at it. Rats heal amazingly fast and it will probably gone in a few days.

In terms of there fighting, how old are they and have you noticed any grumpy behaviour with you? Also how are they most of the time with each other, are they tense and standoffish or otherwise good friends?

I'd suggest for now that a "reintro" might help. This is a technique i use to resolve tension in a group, where i effectively move them into a small space together for a few hours to a few days to give them time (and boredom) to sort out there differences. In your case you could put them both in your carrier for a few hours, maybe going for a walk with them in it. The idea will be they will be in close contact for a stressful situation and may relearn to appreciate each other. It tends to work better in boys (who are more prone to get upset and standoffish with each other) but its worth a shot.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Grizz is about a year and a half while Lee is about four months old at the moment. Neither of them are grumpy with me. Grizz is snuggly and Lee is pretty shy but she isn't aggressive or anything. They are snuggly with each other and they play a lot but they also seem to get into a lot of tussles in which Grizz pins Lee and Lee is very vocally unhappy.

I will for sure try the re-intro, I hope it helps them get over whatever weirdness they've got going on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.