Rat Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was trying to brake a treat in half and of course my rat was trying to take it from me
While I was trying to break it and when it broke it was a rough snap and a accidentally smacked my rat in the face. She is acting strange now and is afraid of me. At first I thought I had messed up her teeth but they seem okay. She keeps drinking so I think I hit her mouth pretty hard. It's not so much her injury that is my main concern it's her being afraid of me. I have NEVER been abusive towards animals and this is upsetting me beyond belief. She was super trustful before. She would follow me around and now she is afraid of me, she won't eat the type of treat that I broke. I think she's afraid of it now, although she is eating other stuff so her teeth I assume are fine. It just breaks my heart to see her looking at me like a predator, like I'm going to hit her again. I am not that kind of person! I love her so much and I want her to love and trust me again! Will she forget by morning? What can I do to make her trust me? Is this going to be a long term thing?

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Lord, the number of times I've accidentally hurt my rats.

It'll go away, it may take a few days. Just shower her with love and apologies and treats.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree with the previous person. This is a totally normal part of having rats. She'll get over it, for sure. Sometimes when I really insult one of my girls by dropping them or boinking them by mistake I give them a little whipped cream or yogurt or some other yummy treat off the tip of my finger. Because they have to lick it off your hand it will keep her near you for long enough to realize that your hand isn't a predator, and actually a source of good things.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts