Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so I got a rat about a month ago, he got a respitory infection, went to the vet, got medicine for him but I don't think it worked?!?
I gave him the exact dose the vet told me to, but after the 14 days I noticed he was still making noises so I also gave him another three doses over the course of 3 days. He was on Baytril oral medicine and I don't think it worked for him as he still sneezes and he makes those rumbling noises on and off. What can I do? If he needs more medicine should I demand the vet give it to me free as the treatment they gave me didn't work? Please help ASAP.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I would go back to the vet and get more Baytril, plus Doxycicline. vibramicin is the same thing. Also rats generally need a 30 day course of antibiotics before the resp infection is completely gone.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I agree, for most resp issues batyril alone isn't going to cut it. If he's an adult then the first choice is 3-4 weeks of baytril and doxy in combo, if that doesn't work then try adding in or switching the doxy for amoxicillin. For babies I would try amoxicillin or septrin first.

A lot of vets just do a standard 2 week course of baytril as a cover all when in reality its often not the best thing, this is because its the only thing licensed for rats, and they have to be able to justify using none licensed drugs

1 - 3 of 3 Posts