Rat Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son's friend needed a place to keep his rats for a month until he moves into his new place, so I said, sure, put them *here*.
Then the rats ate some of my bonsai avocado tree leaves! ACK!
The tree will live. No worries there. But will the rats live?
They ate perhaps 3 or 4 good sized leaves, and I am worried now that they have been poisoned and will die!
Is there any thing to watch out for, or anything I can do to help them?
First thing I did was to move the tree out of reach, of course.
The rats have plenty of clean fresh water to drink and lots of normal food and treats to eat. I guess they were just curious, as rats will be. Anything I can give them to counteract what they ate?

·
Registered
365 Posts
I don't think there's anything you can do at this point, since rats can't vomit. Are bonsai avocado trees poisonous? Just observe them, I suppose. And if they seem in distress or pain, be ready to take them to the vet. : (

They may also be perfectly fine.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I read that the leaves are poisonous. I'd call a vet before they even show signs, honestly, and see if they can do anything. If they can pump stomachs, etc. Your vet will know best.

Good luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"... seem in distress or pain, ... " What do rats act like when they are in pain? They seem to be behaving normally, but I wouldn't know what a sick rat acts like. I am just so new to this ...

·
Registered
213 Posts
Keep an eye out for their feces. If thy get too dry or runny take them to the vet. Distress signs would be restlessness (constantly moving as if uncomfortable, sleeping in funny positions) or for pain, scratching excessively or again, restlessness. I hope the rats do okay!

·
Registered
835 Posts
I heard cured charcoal can help with poisons though I don't know how much you'd give them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts