Rat Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I accidentally killed my baby girl.

I didn't see she was under my chair--she never goes there, and I didn't look, and I sat down, and I killed her.

After the screaming, I realized I am in dire need of help. She has nine babies, about three weeks old. They aren't weaned. I'm in a panic. They will need to eat in about an hour. What do I do?

oh my god

I don't deserve to be a pet owner
But I have to save these precious babies

·
Registered
335 Posts
First off...take a deep breath and calm down. *hugs* This is an awful thing to have happened but it was an accident and you aren't a horrible person. I'm so sorry it's happened to you but I'm sure there are people and resources here that will help you take care of the babies.

Try this thread for some information while we wait for more experienced people to respond.

http://www.ratforum.com/showthread.php?235154-Taking-on-Two-Orphan-Pinks&highlight=care+litter

You also might try calling your local ASPCA or Humane society for help and info on how to care for them.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
At three weeks, they should be fairly simple to hand feed. If you don't have time for that, you can contact any pet stores that you know breed rats and ask to buy a lactating mother. They might want to charge you more than normal for her, but it's an option since they usually do community nesting and won't be putting any of their pups at risk by selling a mother (that's assuming they're willing to part with a breeder).

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
how did this work out? I'm so so so sorry for your experiences, and you are NOT a horrible person.. you didn't mean to do this. It has happened before.. You are not a monster and you obviously loved her... It was an accident and I'm sure she knew you loved her until the end...

·
Registered
173 Posts
Sorry for your loss. Remember it was an accident and could of happened to anyone.

3 weeks is actually when they wean lab rats. Not saying it's ideal but they should be fine. Since they are older babies you could offer them a shallow dish of soy baby milk. They should be able to self-feed at this age.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Babies are responding to soy formula with varying degrees of enthusiasm. I have a chart where I'm checking how many cc's each one ate. I'm glad to know that lab rats get weaned at this age--it makes me relieved that they're probably going to be okay, if sad about their momma.

But then, we all are. : (

Thanks for your kind words and advice, everyone. I am utterly heartbroken, and appreciate it.

·
Registered
74 Posts
glad to hear about the babies... my condolences for your babygirl :(. that was a tragic accident and it was just that... an accident. try not to beat yourself up over it. it could happen to anybody :/

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your rat. It was purely an unexpected accident and you didn't mean to do anything wrong, so don't blame yourself. I can understand being distraught though... I would have been beside myself if this happened to me, too. This is a horrifying thing to have happen. You're traumatized right now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The same thing happened to me with my baby Abbey. She was just a young girl, she was so small.. She blended in with my carpet so well, and i just.. didnt see her..
Its hard, i know, but dont hold it against yourself. She knows you didnt mean to. I've never had a litter before, so i cant help at all there, but lots of people have given you great advice already.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hope you are feeling a bit better about what happened. I am always so scared of this happening, but it can happen to anyone. You are a great person and it was just a tragic accident. We've all done things to this degree or another in our lives, please don't beat yourself up about it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts