Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, been away for quite a while, moving house etc. The boyfriend and I have just purchased a HUGE four storey cage for our little Addo, but recently he seems a bit distant and lonely. I've been spending just as much time with him but as he gets older I think he just needs the company of another ratty.

A pet shop down the road sells rats that are lovely, and I was thinking of going down there tomorrow and getting a new little boy for Addo to have as a pal. I heard that you need to introduce them as young as possible, the rats in the shop are a few weeks old (six plus obviously), but Addo is now about 6 months. Is this ok? Do I need to clean the rat cage out to make sure Addo's smell isn't in there already? And should I take Addo out and put them both in at the same time? I don't really know what to do.

Obviously I am a competent rat owner, so know how to take care of the newbie :), but am a bit nervous about introducing him.

Swift responses would be appreciated, want to get to the pet shop ASAP tomorrow so I can cheer my little ratty up!

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Well, you'd want to keep the new rat in quarentine for three weeks, especially if you're getting him from a pet store. Then you'll want to put them close together so they can smell each other, but not touch each other... and then introduce them on a neutral ground, like a table, bed, or bathtub. Continue this until you think they're okay with each other and then introduce them into a completely clean cage. If you have to go back a step, do.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh that's cool then. Really, 3 weeks? I had no idea quarantine was so long, but it's fine, I'll do whatever it takes. Why especially if he comes from a pet shop? I guess because I don't know where he's been! I just saw these little babies in the glass tank and my heart melted, I want to take them all home!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
That's why I have to avoid the small pets at stores, I want them all. :lol:

Right, you don't know where he's been, if he's been in contact with other ratties that have been ill, etc. And you really don't want him to bring something in that Addo would get. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts