Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got this rat from my sister. Her name is Polly.
Polly is the equivalent of the devil...and I figured that maybe with some company, she'd be a little nicer.
I bought her a friend today. What is the proper way to introduce them?
I gave them both baths so they would smell the same. I put the unnamed rat up to the wires on Polly's cage and after sniffing her for about 10 seconds, she tried to bite her face off.

Now, Polly is almost a year old, and this new rat is a juvie (so they told me at the pet store). I'm pretty certain that Polly (being the nutjob that she is) would mame the poor little friend I bought for her.

Polly has always been mean. She's a biter, she hates to be held, and if you let her out of the cage, I'd probly never see her again. Not sure what her problem is.

Any advice? Please?

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
First off you should probably keep them apart for a while, admitedly it sounds like they've already shared airspace, so if the new babe has any diseases, the older one may get them.

Don't worry too much about the attack through the bars. My boys will grab at any rat that's up against the bars, even if they were cuddling them a moment ago. They should in introduced on a neutral area (ie. not the older rat's cage or the new rat's cage.) You'll have to take it slow, especially if the older rat is unsocialized and has lived alone all her life.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, they sniffed each other so I supposed that's considered sharing airspace. Oops.

I'm gonna let them sit next to each other in their cages for a little while, then maybe put them in the bathtub together? Would that be good neutral ground? I can't let Polly loose or she'll run away.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Bathtub is good, a high table, or a bed that's away from anything that they could get onto. Make sure they can't reach each other through the cages or they might lose toes. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts