Rat Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,
I just go tour new addition for Turfle as a playmate. We brought them together one in my daughter's hand the new one in mine and gave them sniffing time. Then we run a bit in the open play area. They seemed ok at that point. But now, Turfle (the older rat) shakes, rather violently, anytime she runs into Tucka (the newest addition). Tucka is only about month and a half so goes to Turfle and tries to snuggle. This is when Turfle gets the shakes. Is she ok? How can we make this introduction a little easier. PLEASE HELP.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
oh my no quarrantine was done? well a little late for that one. . .

The shakes are fine it jsut means that well Turfle is um how do I put this gently . . . . . "excited" LOL do her ears vibrate? her back kind of arches? if so then this is jsut her letting Tucka know that she is "in the mood" meaning she is in heat and anything that touches her back or privates is fair game.

If not then it is just being skittish.

The main issues you want to look for are:

Puffing Up
Huffing and Spitting
Side Saddling
Biting

It took me a good six months to get all five of my girls living in the same cage.

http://ratfanclub.org/newrat.html
This is a great link for introductions

·
Registered
261 Posts
when you introduce ratties, make sure its taken place in the most widest and open space possible, like for example the bathtub. you must do this so one of the ratties can back off when needed. other suggestions besides the bathtub can be used, but the bathtub is just a useful suggestion :). the shaking will get over with from the ratties when they get used to eachother. spend about twenty minutes or however long it takes for them to sniff and like eachother. then feed them both treats if you find no signs of fighting or defending their territory in other words after they've been properly introduced. keep watch day after day for about two months even if they seem like they like eachother because anything could happen. wishing you the best of my luck and remember to keep us posted.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well thank you Stephanie~! I would have NEVER guessed it could be that. Turfle is about 5 months old. When do they come in heat? I read that introducing another rat when the first one is in heat was a very good time to do so. She isn't arching or spitting or anything like that, she sniffs the new rat and the new rat cuddles with her then she runs away and does this shiver thing. It's really weird to watch!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Female rats come into heat every 4-5 days after about 6 weeks of age until an until time (possibly never).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
WOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO They like each other!!!!! Thanks guys! I am not so sure they would have gotten along so well or quickly without your help!!!! THANKS AGAIN

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I read this a couple times but I am not clear on something... both rats are the same sex right?

If not, you don't want them together.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A1APassion.........YUP they are both girlies. One is just about 3 months younger than the other and both came from the same loving house so quarentine measures were not really needed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts