Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about giving my timid girl some apricot jam to bring her Out of her shell but Is it safe?

·
Registered
452 Posts
The flesh of apricots is safe for rats but I would personally be strongly against it as it is way too high in sugar, especially if it is not a one-off but you will be using it on a regular basis for a period of time. Id rather suggest something like baby food or plain manuka honey.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Pretty much any type of baby food, fruit ones tend to be a favorite over veggie types and although I've never tried it chicken baby food seems to be popular among rats as well:)

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I second avoiding feeding any jams. And while I agree that veggie and fruit baby foods are enjoyed, I must say that all my rats so far have enjoyed any meat baby foods the most. Meat baby food is a great thing, because it works great at covering any medicine tastes and smells, and is something my rats will usually eat even when sick.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Yougurt works well too.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great! I have honey straight from the bees it hasn't been processed or anything so is that okay? Also what type of yogurt?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Great! I have honey straight from the bees it hasn't been processed or anything so is that okay? Also what type of yogurt?
Plain vanilla yogurt is Ok, but rats really shouldn't have much dairy. If you can find soy yogurt (I buy my babies the Dayia brand) your rats will love that. Just a note though that you can't mix medications with yogurt, or any dairy;)

·
Registered
531 Posts
Im sorry, but I can't. I forgot where I read it or why,but several sources said raw honey.
Raw honey certainly has benefits over processed honey, but I've never read anything that said processed honey was in any way harmful (I suppose aside from the general high sugar content of either). If anybody has seen differently, please post.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Okay so natural honey is fine? Also I will look into buying soy yogurt but how much honey or yogurt should I give her?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I saw somewhere someone posted that raw honey was bad for rats and processed honey was better and now I don't know what to do please tell me which one is better.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Raw honey certainly has benefits over processed honey, but I've never read anything that said processed honey was in any way harmful (I suppose aside from the general high sugar content of either). If anybody has seen differently, please post.
Never heard that rats should not be fed processed honey either and I also cant find any sources saying processed honey is dangerous. Im thinking those 'sources' Rattielover965 is referring to might simply be suggesting raw honey over processed, not stating that its dangerous and only raw should be fed.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I saw somewhere someone posted that raw honey was bad for rats and processed honey was better and now I don't know what to do please tell me which one is better.
Google has tons of resources in regards to the nutritional benefits of raw honey etc, if you cant believe some of the chats on forums/keep seeing contradicting statements, it might be much easier and faster if you do your own quick research and decide for yourself.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts