Rat Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Never heard that rats should not be fed processed honey either and I also cant find any sources saying processed honey is dangerous. Im thinking those 'sources' Rattielover965 is referring to might simply be suggesting raw honey over processed, not stating that its dangerous and only raw should be fed.
yeah sorry,I've been trying to find whereI read that and the search has not been successful.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
You may have to introduce them to it a few times for them to decide if they like it. Wild rats often try new food in small incriminating, refusing to eat more until they know it won't hurt them (this is mainly because they can't vomit, so if they ingest a lethal dose of poison, they can't rid their body of it quickly and will die). Sometimes fancies will retain this behavior, and will have to be offered a new food several times to really start eating it. I find that if one of my girls decides she likes a food, the others will dig right in as well.

But of course, your rats also may just not like these new tasted. I find that my girls prefer stronger tasting and saltier foods to subtle tasting and/or sweet foods. Even in the case of yogurt, mine always preferred fruit or vanilla flavored yogurt over the plain one.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
They did lick a bit but then they started patting there feet and I don't know what that means but after that they didn't want anymore

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
They did lick a bit but then they started patting there feet and I don't know what that means but after that they didn't want anymore
They do that when they get anything stick on their paws. Nothing to be concerned about, its just their way of wiping off their paws when they don't want to lick them off. Its a pretty funny behavior that my girls usually do after eating applesauce XD

21 - 29 of 29 Posts