Rat Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just brought home a beautiful new baby boy today from the "feeder bin" at a pet store :( I absolutely love him he was the only one like him and i am having a hard time determining his proper color, so i was hoping maybe someone on here would have a better idea :) I know he is a vari-berk but he has some interesting coloring over his body

Attachments

·
Registered
966 Posts
Aw, looks like my boy Sid. I would also say russian blue variberk.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
It's hard to tell from the pictures, but does he have a bit of brown mixed in there? Kind of looks like a shade of blue agouti to me, but if there's no brown and it's just my monitor playing tricks then I'd have to say pale russian blue as well. If there is brown though...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was having a hard time deciding if there was brown or not lol Sometimes he looks like he has a brown tint and sometimes not so much so i'm not sure if my eyes are playing tricks on me or what LOL But his coat is very thick and fluffy right now so hopefully he will be loosing his baby coat soon and it will be easier to tell :)

·
Registered
475 Posts
he looks more american blue than russian blue but my russian blue has bits of brown in his fur where as my american blue does not. But i would lean more towards american blue unless there is brown in which case I have no idea haha maybe he's uniquely his own color? ;D

·
Registered
775 Posts
He looks like blue agouti to me.
I have a friend with a rat that shade and I currently have a rescue mouse that color. I can show you if you like

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
It's not abnormal to get Brown tones in Rb and the colour doesn't look multi toned enough to be rba but his adult coat will show is clearer. baby fluff can be deceptive. He's not Essex though, looks like a Berkshire to me.

This is a Russian blue essex eating his Christmas dinner lol.

Attachments

·
Registered
475 Posts
I thought essex was the one where it's darkest at the top in a line down the spine and it gets lighter as it goes down and the it's white on the bottom and feet? So if they don't have a headspot it's berk no matter what?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Because my russian blue boy fits the essex description perfectly except for the headspot so I've just always called him that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's not abnormal to get Brown tones in Rb and the colour doesn't look multi toned enough to be rba but his adult coat will show is clearer. baby fluff can be deceptive. He's not Essex though, looks like a Berkshire to me.

This is a Russian blue essex eating his Christmas dinner lol.

Yes he is definately a veriberk.

·
Premium Member
4,287 Posts
I thought essex was the one where it's darkest at the top in a line down the spine and it gets lighter as it goes down and the it's white on the bottom and feet? So if they don't have a headspot it's berk no matter what?
you don't always get perfect fading with Essex, though they are always lighter coloured than the same colour solid and there belly is a lot paler though may not be white. interestingly we see a lot of marked Essex (which is amusing as Essex is classed as a marked gene on its own) by that i mean with white berky markings on there belly.

an Essex does need a head spot or blaze, it's inherent with the variety though in theory this could be v small, we breed Essex and you can see it very early on within a few days of birth who's going to be Essex.

Camelle, if you post a photo i can tell you if he is an Essex or not. It's unlikely without a head marking and the variety doesn't seem common outside the uk (even then it's not common outside breeder rats) so it is unlikly he is.

·
Registered
475 Posts
you don't always get perfect fading with Essex, though they are always lighter coloured than the same colour solid and there belly is a lot paler though may not be white. interestingly we see a lot of marked Essex (which is amusing as Essex is classed as a marked gene on its own) by that i mean with white berky markings on there belly.

an Essex does need a head spot or blaze, it's inherent with the variety though in theory this could be v small, we breed Essex and you can see it very early on within a few days of birth who's going to be Essex.

Camelle, if you post a photo i can tell you if he is an Essex or not. It's unlikely without a head marking and the variety doesn't seem common outside the uk (even then it's not common outside breeder rats) so it is unlikly he is.
He probably isn't one but sure I'll post a picture of him! (anything that means I get to show off pictures of my beauties ^.^ C: I don't have a good enough camera to be able to show you how perfectly symetrical his fading is or the line down his back plus he probably wouldn't stay still long enough but I'll do my best. My phone has a pretty fantastic camera but no camera will pick up just exactly like what you're eye sees in person. What kind of shots do you need of him?

·
Registered
475 Posts
Alright! Sorry this took so long! I agree face pictures are the cutest!!
Top down:

Rat Tail Degu Fur Fawn

(Please excuse my pajama pants)
Mammal Rat Degu Muridae Rodent

I know he looks brown sometimes but I swear he's supposed to be russian blue. Probably should have taken some of these without the flash but then they wouldn't be as clear. He looks more grey in person but he's also just under 5 months so he's not an adult yet either. Also you can't see his line in these pictures but it's there. It's not as clear as it was when he was younger though.

Sides:

Vertebrate Ferret polecat Mustelidae Rat

I don't know why it flips these sideways but I can't get it to flip it around the right way so I apologize for the awkward angle.

Mammal Vertebrate Rat Muridae Rodent
That's his other side^

Belly:

Dog breed Tail Rodent Cat
He was REALLY good at the standing up pictures haha I'm holding sunflower seeds to get him to stand. He is VERY food motivated xD

Butt:
Hair Fawn

Cute face pics:

Mammal Rat Vertebrate Mouse Muridae
^^this has to be the cutest photo of Vincent I have ever taken. :3
Rat Vertebrate Mammal Mouse Muridae
licking for sunflower crumbs ^.^

Mammal Vertebrate Rat Mouse Muridae
This one is more his true color. His cute little sleepy face!! >.<
Mammal Vertebrate Rat Mouse Muridae
Munchin'

That's all of them C: Sorry for all the picture spam. It's kinda hard to just pick a few you know?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I feel like I should also mention he's a velveteen so I don't know if that would affect anything or not but just so you know c:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts