Rat Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Coffee, Bagel, Piper, Sprout, Sonya, And 2 new rats coming soon!
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me! MY BAGEL HAS Constipa ON HER BUTT she is 2 yrs old I cam home from vacation and saw this help!!!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone help me!

·
Registered
Freddy, Alfredo, Juniper, Figgy, Dobby
881 Posts
I’m so sorry! I haven’t experienced this! Maybe give her extra veggies bc that makes them have diarrhea i don’t know i’m so sorry!

·
Registered
242 Posts
I wouldn’t have thought constipation would cause swelling?but I have never had a rat with that so hopefully someone who has will come on and advise.Is she eating ok? Is the swelling soft or hard?

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn’t have thought constipation would cause swelling?but I have never had a rat with that so hopefully someone who has will come on and advise.Is she eating ok? Is the swelling soft or hard?
She isn’t eating much and it’s very hard and lumpy

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heres more pics. My parents won’t let me take her bc she is 2 and a half
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
242 Posts
Whilst you work on your parents you could try melting o couple of dessert spoons of salt in boiling water in a bowl,then top up with cold water til it’s warm bath temperature.Then support Bagels chest and stand her in the water with her butt immersed in the water.If those lumps are abscesses it will help to draw them out and burst them.Another sign of an abscess is a dark bruised looking spot appearing on the skin when they are getting closer to bursting.
It must be tough for you relying on your parents when you obviously care for your rats so much.

·
Registered
Little John (1.5 yrs), Poof and Dick (3 mo)
14 Posts
I know I'm late but if it is constipation, I'd recommend maybe a supplement drink? I use boost for my babies because that's what I have on hand, and it definitely makes their stool softer so that extra fiber might help. (I've heard that pedialyte is probably the best supplement for them, but I'm not sure if the laxative effect is the same)

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Yes, please let us know how she's doing now.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
No better…

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
:( sorry to hear. Did you try the warm wet compress to see if the swelling will go down?

·
Registered
Little John (1.5 yrs), Poof and Dick (3 mo)
14 Posts
No better…
Have you been able to find out whether it is an abscess or constipation? Can you tell if she has been pooping at all? A good wag to tell is to separate her for a little while, give her something to help her go, and check the area afterwards (maybe a big tote box could work for this?) if the waste seems normal/especially if it is very soft, then you'll know she's not constipated at least.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts