Rat Forum banner

What should I do?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a sibling (18 yrs, male) who likes to mess around with my rats such as: scaring them for fun, putting their heads in his mouth for no reason, and he insists on giving them a bath every week because they stink, ext. I’ve tried getting him to stop, but he won’t listen! What do I do?

·
Registered
918 Posts
If your rats stink, you should clean more often. If their favorite sleeping spots stink with pee, it will make them stink with pee. Wash hammocks and/or change nesting materials often.

If you have an issue with your sibling, you should find a way to work it out. This would either entail discussing the problem with them and coming to an agreement or involving an authority figure like a parent or guardian.

·
Registered
142 Posts
You could also try putting locks on the cage doors. The small luggage locks with combo locks (you select the code) should work.
It will at least keep him from messing with them when you aren't around. You can also put a lock on your bedroom door when you have them free roaming. Until he stops what he's doing, I wouldn't recommend allowing them to free roam in more common areas of the home.

If he is your older sibling - enlist the help of an adult. What he is doing is abusive - even if he means no harm.
If he is your younger sibling - try teaching him how to properly care for a rat.

·
Super Moderator
181 Posts
I would be absolutely livid. Rats don't need bathing its bad for them. They shouldnt stink they smell quite nice unless you're not cleaning the cage much or there is dominance peeing issues / hormonal aggression.
He is 18, i'd be having more than words with him.

Move out? Tell your parents?

·
Registered
142 Posts
I would be absolutely livid. Rats don't need bathing its bad for them. They shouldnt stink they smell quite nice unless you're not cleaning the cage much or there is dominance peeing issues / hormonal aggression.
He is 18, i'd be having more than words with him.

Move out? Tell your parents?
I would too. But without knowing the rest of the situation or the OPs age, I felt it was better to temper the anger.

·
Registered
142 Posts
So, I have a sibling (18 yrs, male) who likes to mess around with my rats such as: scaring them for fun, putting their heads in his mouth for no reason, and he insists on giving them a bath every week because they stink, ext. I’ve tried getting him to stop, but he won’t listen! What do I do?
I just saw your re-post of this thread, where you state your age.

Go to your parents. Tell them (calmly) what's been going on. Tell them what he's doing is very likely to turn your rats mean and afraid of being handled.
Ask them to tell your brother he is not to touch the rats or their cage; or interfere with your care and training of them.
Tell them, if they have a problem with the rats (smell, noise, etc) to come to you and let you work on correcting the issue. Remind them it's all part of owning pets and you are mature enough to handle that responsibility without your sibling interfering.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just saw your re-post of this thread, where you state your age.

Go to your parents. Tell them (calmly) what's been going on. Tell them what he's doing is very likely to turn your rats mean and afraid of being handled.
Ask them to tell your brother he is not to touch the rats or their cage; or interfere with your care and training of them.
Tell them, if they have a problem with the rats (smell, noise, etc) to come to you and let you work on correcting the issue. Remind them it's all part of owning pets and you are mature enough to handle that responsibility without your sibling interfering.
Thank you for the advice, i have talked to my mom about it, my 81 year old brother wont mess around with my rats anymore, and if he does im supposed to tell my mom about it, and if he keeps that up, my mom will tell my dad.
I also have a piece of paper on the cage with "rat rules" on it!
Also my rats are very scared of being picked up, but i am working on that. :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you for the advice, i have talked to my mom about it, my 81 year old brother wont mess around with my rats anymore, and if he does im supposed to tell my mom about it, and if he keeps that up, my mom will tell my dad.
I also have a piece of paper on the cage with "rat rules" on it!
Also my rats are very scared of being picked up, but i am working on that. :)
Sorry i meant 18 year old brother, opps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts