Rat Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My rat won't do anything. She wants nothing to do with me and just sleeps 24/7. The only time she will leave her cage is if I am cleaning it so I basically have to force her out. Today, after battling with her for 30 minutes to get back in the cage, I had no choice but to gently push her out with a broom, which didn't even work and another 10 minutes later I finally caught her with a small garbage can. It was like I was trying to catch a wild animal, not a pet.

She is albino, if this at all could explain her behavior. I can't take it anymore. Why do I do everything for her and she treats me like crap. My other rat is cool and she will come when I tell her (maybe by the 4th or 5th time, but eventually comes) and my other rat understands "no". The albino I am at my wits end with. I literally told my brother I am throwing her outside in the snow to freeze. (I wouldn't actually do that, but that was how mad I was.)

Please help me.

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Have you tried to socialize her?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Spend some one on one time with her. Offer her treats as a reward when she does something good. The more time you spend with her, the better your bond will be. Be patient with her and I'm sure you'll see improvements.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Spend some one on one time with her. Offer her treats as a reward when she does something good. The more time you spend with her, the better your bond will be. Be patient with her and I'm sure you'll see improvements.
I have tried to spend time with her, but it is so hard. She doesn't want anything to do with me. At first, it was so bad I thought she was sick and now I just think she is rude. I got her from the pet store like 1 and a half months ago, so I think she is about 5 months old. I am gonna try the method of wrapping her in a blanket and not letting her out of my hand for 20 minutes. We'll see. Food doesn't work, because she won't eat anything until I leave the room.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Take her out of the cage and spend one on one time with her. Hold her. Pet her. Say hello to her. Teach her her name. Give her treats so she trusts you more.

If you just have her in the cage to play with the other rats you have, you can't necessarily expect her to do the things you expect of her if you don't teach her how to do them. So be patient with her, have one on one free time with her. Bring her on your bed or something and work on creating a bond with her. If you don't then it will most likely stay this way for her lifespan and you'll have trouble with her.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts