Rat Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
noticed last night that my baby boy reggie has a huge lump on his underside groin area near his hind leg. it wasnt there the night before, his behaviour hasnt changed, still eating, drinking and still full of character. he doesnt seem to be in any pain. the lump is squidgy not hard at all, no lump as such. is it a tumor? i can try the vet tomorrow if not will be tuesday. really need some help here, he is only 14-16 weeks old

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Hopefully it's only an abcess, which can be opened, drained, and washed by the vet. Even if you cannot get him into the vet tomorrow, ask the vet for his/her opinion, be sure to mention it's soft, not hard. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks i so hope u r right, not ready to lose him yet! i think it came up too quick to b a tumor, nut im no expert. i have no idea on costs for these types of things, any idea how much it would be to drain a tumor.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
A tumor would require surgery and be more expensive than draining an abcess. However, I haven't had to get that done for any of my boys (knock on wood), so I'm not sure as to cost.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
update, took reggie to vet first thing. its his testicle! only 1 has dropped and the vet said the likely hood of it dropping now is 0. so it will stay in his abdomen. while the vet was holding him(quite roughly) he started to bleed out of his nose. i pointed it out the vet said he must have banged his nose?? now im worried about myco. he also said that the testicle could twist and cause a hernia, the op would b too big for him so he would have to b put down. so heres fingerz crossed that it stays put!!! i have to take him back in a month to b checked out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yes they deal with rats quite often i did ask that and he seemed to know his stuff. he did a thorough examination and said to keep an eye incase he looks like hes in pain. the lump has nearly gone now, but its clearly visible that he only has the 1 testicle. i didnt really look but always wondered why his brothers testies were so much bigger!!

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
His testes hadn't dropped by 14 weeks? 8O

I'd think at this point it would be best to get him neutered, perhaps?

The redness could ahve been from the stress... maybe.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
only 1 of his testes has dropped. i think a neuter wouldnt b as easy as they would have to open him up to get the other teste out??? his nose wasnt just red, blood was drippin out

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
I would think it would be like a spay. I've never heard of it happening so maybe someone who has had that happened before can chime in. It might help to change your subject title to 'Undropped testicle, is surgery necessary?'. Or if you don't know how to do that, make another thread on it perhaps? That way if someone has had it happened before they would know to look at this thread to help.

Sorry about your boy. Hopefully he's not having any problems ): He could of just been nervous at the vets causing the porphyrin dripping (porphyrin looks red, it is snot and it is drippy so it looks like blood when it's severe).

If he still has porphyrin dripping out, I would take him back to the vet and demand antibiotics. That's a sign of illness.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks poppyseed. there is no dripping from his nose now so must have been stress! phew! its never happened b4
maybe i should call the vet tomorrow and ask if he should have a neuter? hmmm
ill start a new thread
thanks

·
Registered
745 Posts
Alex, I'm sorry to say that I don't think your vet is very knowledgeable about rats. The red stuff coming out of his nose was porphyrin, not blood. Any vet that knows anything about rats knows that.

Also, there's no such thing as a surgery "too big" for a rat. And even if there were, a hernia certainly doesn't fall under that definition. You can tell your vet that my vet and I went in and repaired a hernia the size of a golf ball on one of my rats three months ago, and she's doing just fine.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hi, he said that if the hernia ruptured that would b a big op for a lil guy. hes only 15 weeks old! hes still doin just fine, no probs, he shows no signs of pain or anythin, once i have moved and saved again, i will take him for a second opinion, thanks :)

·
Registered
10,641 Posts
My friend had 2 brothers that both had undescended testicles and they both lived to good old age, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. Some rats when stressed drip porphryin, but as long as it stopped adn he's fine now you should be good.

·
Registered
407 Posts
GracieBaby said:
wow i do not how u guys handle so much stress honestly when i have even the slightest thought that one is sick i am a wreck
for me, its more of a, 'ok I have to do what I have to do'. Then i fall apart later.

The worst was a few weeks back when one rattie was recovering from a broken leg, one was congested (and I fear myco ALL the time) AND my son was having heart palpitations (he has the same heart disease that I do). I thought I was going to have a freaking heart attack myself that day - I didnt know WHAT to do - seemed that everyone needed my attn right then and there.

Ahhhh stress - sometimes its my constant companion hahaha

1 - 17 of 17 Posts