Rat Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"We have separate female and male cages. We bred our first male with 2 females (not related). We kept 2 babies and the rest of the two litters went to a very good pet shop. We visited at least every other day, but they were bought within a week. Then we bred the youngest male with his mother. That's the litter that we lost 2 pups. I dont know if it was because of the inbreeding, but we were told it would be ok.

Speedy (our sick rat) is 1 of the 2 survivors. When I went to take him out of the cage today, he was alert and greeted me like normal. He came right up and into my hand. I brought him into the bedroom and set him on the bed. He ran up to my husband like normal and played for 10 minutes while I walked our dogs. When I came back, I noticed he had hid under the blanket and when I went to play with him, I noticed his body was lifeless and he was breathing rapidly. He wouldnt respond to sound, pain or movement. Like he was in a come. Then we read about younger rats having heat strokes and his tail was really warm. So, we did the bath. He is also drinking Gatorade now.

If he had an infection, why did it hit him so hard and so quickly? Could he have had a stroke and we were too late to cool him off? Could the stroke have injured his lungs and that's the sound we're hearing. We really cant afford to take him to the vet. I am very worried and I dont want him to suffer. He seems to be improving slowly, but I dont know if he is in any pain. I just dont understand what would make his health deteriorate so quick like that."

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
It could be heat stroke, stroke, or even pneumonia. Rats can sometimes go downhill very quickly. I'd suggest taking him to the vet, if it's pneumonia, it can be cured.

I'd also suggest not breeding your rats again. There's no reason to do so, especially if you're just going to dump them at a pet store where they may just go to a snake.

·
Registered
489 Posts
They are so tiny that the germs or infetion spreads faster.

If you cant afford a vet, then why breed? If you breed, you need the money for a vet in case of complications.
And goin to a vet is highly recomended if needed.

How is he doing now?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts