Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He is lethargic and appears to be drooling. I tried to feed him honey earlier but he threw it up. Will he make it through the night? I need to take to the vet but will he make it through the night? Please help, I am in desperate need of advice.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
He might be choking. Choking with rats is different - they can choke for quite a while (even an hour or more). Generally it looks a lot worse than it is and they work it out themselves after a while. For the future, I don't recommend feeding honey to rats - like peanut butter, it's very thick/sticky and can easily cause choking. Here's some info from the RMCA...

Most often, when a rat has something caught in his throat, he is still able to breathe, and what you will witness will be the rat drooling and pulling his head back in a gagging motion (chin to throat), flattening his ears. Most people don't recognize this as choking right away and panic. But, once you recognize the symptoms, you can normally stay calm and try to assist your rat in clearing the obstruction, if he can't clear it himself. The first thing to do is to make sure the rat can breathe. As long as he can, your best option is to leave the rat alone and let him work it out himself, checking on him periodically to be sure the condition has not worsened.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts