Rat Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,

I have two male rats both coming to two years old. My white male rat started getting aggressive towards my partner and a vet suggested we get him snipped. This happened about four to five months ago. The wound healed fine and my rat is acting friendly and normal. I have just noticed his stomach looks extremely painful right where the wound would of been !!

I’m definitely going to get him checked up but would like to know if anyone has seen this before or can think of what it could be and more importantly what can I do while we wait for a vet booking.

He is acting completely normal and eating .
Thank you !

·
Registered
129 Posts
I have no clue what's happening, but definitely keep it sanitized. Wash it off twice a day with a warm damp rag.
Observe if he's chewing and licking it.
Is his cage mate chewing and licking it?

Please give us an update when you can!

·
Registered
6 Posts
It looks almost exactly the same as an abscess one of my boys developed after an injury from a bite ! Actually in the same exact spot. I would fill the sink half way with warm water and put in about 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon of sea salt. I would then mix the water around and hold my little guy in the water so he could stand so just the abscess and his bottom would get wet.
If you’re saying this injury is possibly caused by a wound from a neutering I would think it is almost certainly an abscess. Beware when it bursts it smells HORRENDOUS!
Once it has bursted rats have an incredibly quick healing process. Continue the sea salt soaks a few times a day until the wound is beginning to close up and look healthy. Do not pull any scabs off, let them fall off naturally. Clean out the pocket created with qtips dipped in warm salt water solution. It should heal up very quickly. This is a very large abscess so be prepared for a lot of pus and a lot of stink. My house smelt like infection for a week!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts