Rat Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to feed my rats just now, and I saw they hadn't finished thier food, so I was worried. Then I saw that thier water bottle was EMPTY. I don't know how!! I just filled it a day or two ago, and they've never finished it this fast! I'm so afraid, because I don't remember exactly when I last filled it, and I don't now how long it's been empty, I checked Raven for dehydration and her skin seemed really loose......
They're bright eyed and active, and when I put the water bottle in they immediatley drank for about two full minutes.....
Also they pulled a trash bag into their cage and shredded it you don't think they could have swallowed any do you
I feel so terrible I'm the worst owner in the world
This has never happened before
I'm FREAKING OUT

They could have two gone days without water I don't know ;; I've been so distracted and frazzled latley
I feel so terrible
Will they be alright??? I'm so scared............

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Okay..... a little calmer now.....
I went back to check on them, and I felt Raven for Deydration again, her skin seems to be tighter already, so I guess that's a good sign...
They ran right up to the door ready to play, bright eyes, no porphryin, sniffing and looking for cuddles, so I imagine the bottle has not been empty for long....
*sigh* Well I guess the only thing I can do is watch them closley and make sure they're alright....

Well, something good came out of this. From now on I'm going to check their bottle twice a day to make sure it has enough water.... I don't want this to happen again....

This normally wouldn't happen but this week has been insane and I've just been everywhere....

Sorry about this thread........
I've owned rats for over a year and I guess I still don't know anything about caring for them....

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
I'm sorry that happened. :(

I highly suggest checking and refilling water bottles daily, even if barely any water is missing.
It is good to get into the habit of checking daily.
And water bottles are known to be wonky- they can get stuck where no water comes out or leak or sometimes just fall off somehow. My girls once chewed through a water bottle on the outside of their cage!
Plus fresh water is just best. Would you wanna drink a glass of water that was sitting out for a day or two? yuck.

I am glad your babies are all ok. Do not beat yourself up too bad, stuff like this happens. And no matter how long anyone has had rats we are always still learning and making mistakes lol

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm sorry that happened. :(

I highly suggest checking and refilling water bottles daily, even if barely any water is missing.
It is good to get into the habit of checking daily.
And water bottles are known to be wonky- they can get stuck where no water comes out or leak or sometimes just fall off somehow. My girls once chewed through a water bottle on the outside of their cage!
Plus fresh water is just best. Would you wanna drink a glass of water that was sitting out for a day or two? yuck.

I am glad your babies are all ok. Do not beat yourself up too bad, stuff like this happens. And no matter how long anyone has had rats we are always still learning and making mistakes lol
Thank you :)
Yeah, I'll definitely be refilling the bottle daily from now on (And my gerbil's bottle too)
I never let the bottle sit out for more than two or three days, but you're right, fresh water would be best.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have two good bottles but sometimes I don't screw them on tight enough after I refill them, and boy, do they leak FAST. I've woken up to empty bottles and soaked fleece/bedding twice because of it.

It happens. And the fact that you were so worried about it shows you're a good owner. :)

·
Registered
227 Posts
All good advice, add a second bottle. check that is sealed,,,give it squeeze to force water out, do not use tap water, too many chemicals, I use either distilled ,or boiled water. let it cool in a sealed jar, cooled, not cold.You are doing the right thing.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I would deffinatly stick with 2 bottles too, i have 2 for my ratties and gerbils you never know when one may malfunction. In the UK these seems to be alot of problems with a particular brand of water bottle (rotaostak mabey?) and they are notorious for not leaking but not letting any water out so even tho the bottle looks full the animals cant drink out of them! xxx

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Mine sometimes just won't let water out so i just shake it in the afternoons so that they will always have some.

·
Registered
604 Posts
When I went on vacation last year, my mother was taking care of my single rat (now long passed on). I came back and noticed that she just wasn't being herself and found out that she hadn't had water for four days because my mother didn't tighten the bottle enough and it all leaked out. Baby was alright after she downed a ton of fresh water but my mother was so devastated and is now paranoid and checks all my boys bottles everyday. Even when I'm home. Mistakes happen, but I'm very happy everyone is alright.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
I always have at least 2 water sources available at a time. For my small travel cages (my non-DCNs that I use for travelling or when a rat needs to be humidified) I have only one. But I went through a panic when I realized that one bottle wasn't working. I kept thinking "wow, the water isn't going down much at all". Luckily the longest they stay in that cage is about 8-12 hours so it wasn't too bad. But it freaked me out. Now I check that bottle all the time, and am very glad my other cages have at least 2 bottles!

Sorry that happened, That's happened with my rabbits before. they both have 2 very large bottles, but drink about half a day. Even so , there are times I don't catch it and they may have been without water for a few hours or a half day or so and I always feel TERRIBLE.

I'm sure your girls are fine, just a little thirsty! I'd recommend getting a second bottle (or bird water silo) to be safe.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have nightmares about this! There have definitely been times that I've checked the bottles and have been surprised at how much they're drank, so now I check every day. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts