Rat Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all.
I'm new- to rats and to this wonderful site.
But I need some help regarding a matter about my rats...
I have 3 wonderful boys- two bought from a breeder and the youngest saved from a petshop. The two from the dealer are half-brothers. Shyler is the eldest boy, grey with a bandit's mask and belly squiggle of white, and with a beautiful sleek body. Sherlock is his half-brother, named for his inquisitive nature and golden hood that caps his white body. Sherlock is a boss of the cage- he is huge and likes to throw his weight around [but never seriously] Then comes Pirate. He's black and white hooded, and I saw him in a petshop and fell in love. I was never suppose to get 1 rat, yet alone 2, and so trying to convince my parents into letting me get a 3rd was quite a chore. But it seemed nobody wanted the gangly Pirate- he was near 6 months old when i 'rescued' him from the shop, and the very last of his litter. :cry: It broke my heart to finally get him- he was so skittish and jumpy [i had been informed before buying him that he was 'unsocial' due to none of the store workers making an effort to handle him] But i loved Pirate, and with lots of TLC is is now a great member of the trio and is affectionate as anything. :D
Well, i have certainly babbled on! It's easy to do, huh- brag about your munchkins. :lol:
But i recently noticed lumps forming on the back of Shyler and Sherlock's hind feet. They seem to have no trouble walking- no trace of a limp or any constant licking in that area. They both are quite lazy and getting a bit chubby- but i do make them run around in their playpen! The lumps are red and have small scabs on them- they are one each rat's both hind feet, on the outer edge and close to the back.
I will try get a photo up soon.
I have wondered about bedding etc, but Pirate has no trace of the bumps, and these 'bumps' are only a recent occurance. I keep their cage clean- it is metal and the floor is a solid sheet that i always have covered in unprinted paper. Their diet hasn't changed- they get plenty of veggies and water and exercise.
I don't it!!!
My parents don't want to go to the vet unless it becomes really serious, and the boys don't seem to be in any pain. They are still cheerful, cheeky little buggars!
Please help! Any suggestions, or anything else you need to know?
Thank you
x

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
Sounds like your boys have bumblefoot. Bumblefoot develops when a bacteria invades the bottom of a rats foot...staph aureus I believe. Its similar to an abscess. Older rats usually get it since they are now putting their full weight on the entire back foot whereas when they were younger they walked more on their toes. Obese rats also can develop them. Not all rats get bumblefoot and for a long time bare wire flooring was blamed for these occurences, but some rats are genetically inclined to get bumblefoot. Are these 2 older boys brothers?

http://ratguide.com/health/integumentary_skin/ulcerative_pododermatitis.php

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Hello Rider, welcome to the forums! :)

It does sound very much like Bumblefoot, like Lil Spaz says. Hope you manage to get it cleared up soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you for your help :)
Yes, the two older boys are half brothers. They share the same papa.
How do I get rid of this bumblefoot? Wash it with water/ detol, feed them viatim c, clip their toenails? How?
Heh heh. Merci beaucoup for the info...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Read the link lilspaz68 posted I would go with gse or tea tree oil myself. I have a boy with it right now and he opens it every few weeks and blood goes everywhere sometimes. I started putting a homemade salve on it, hopefully that will clear it up.

·
Registered
10,640 Posts
I took in an old obese boy with spinal nerve degeneration. He came to me with bumblefoot. I did a topical medicated ointment (fuciderm) and baytril (I think). It didn't do anything really. Then my friend gave me some Blu-kote and I started using that...it seemed to be drying them up and was working but sadly he contracted pneumonia (he was 32 months old) and passed before I could truly find out. If another rat got bumblefoot I would use the Blu-kote again. It is horribly messy and stains like crazy but it was working.
Bumblefoot doesn't always cure sadly, and surgical removal doesn't work since they bleed so much. :(
Soft clean bedding, fleece is good (no aspen or wood chips), abs can help, and topicals can help.
Is he uncomfortable? The one good thing is that most times they don't seem painful no matter how nasty they look.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts