Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just added a neutered male rat to my two young female rats. Introduces went fine and they have been snuggling in piles. He's kinda dopey and sluggish but calm when picked up. He's also never bit me. He might be blind? His eyes are heavy lidded/squinting.

However, he has been biting the other female rats, their tail or their forearm. It kinda seems like he's just holding their arm/tail in his mouth, but he doesn't let go when they squeak in protest. I checked one of the tails when I separated them, and there was two red marks/dots from his teeth. I didn't see any bleeding, though he seemed like he bit down harder while I was trying to pull the girl and him away from each other. Any thoughts on how to fix this? (I mean, most people neuter their male rats when biting happens but he's already neutered...) Should I separate them?

·
Registered
105 Posts
One of my boys does something similar where he grabs and pulls my girls, normally by the back or shoulder, so your boy is probably trying to play or get them to come over and groom him or something. I'm not entirely sure, but it doesn't seem aggressive to me with my guy, he's always kind of played rough then got better after his neuter. But if he isn't drawing blood I wouldn't worry about it, girl rats are surprisingly capable of defending themselves. My girls will kick my male and bite him but they never have marks on them, but he will sometimes and he isn't the alpha either, one of the girls is. Maybe you could get a little squirt bottle and spritz him when he's biting their tails if it really bugs you, because pulling is instinctively going to make him want to pull back I think.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts