Rat Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I'm Bijou and I'm getting rats in 2 weeks time, but I'm ordering the rat cage in a week and I've had some questions.
Question 1
I've been worried that maybe I've picked the wrong cage?
I plan on getting 2 female rats and I was going to use
this cage.
But now I'm concerned that the bar spacing is too big? The bar spacing is 1 inch, It says in the reviews its fine but, I just want to be sure.

Question 2
What do you use to hold down fleece liners? Please help!

Question 3
How would you recommend trust training 2 rats? How do I Introduce them right away since I would be getting them at the same time?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Question 1:
How old are the females? And have you already bought the cage? If the females are young, they are likely to escape from the cage. Even some older, smaller females may find a way out of it... If you've already bought it, you may want to look into hardware cloth to put on the outside of it, just to be safe. If you haven't bought it yet, you may want to look into a critter nation. I have one and it's a wonderful cage for my pair of females.

Question 2:
I use binder clips to hold down my fleece. Small ones for the shelf and large ones to hold the bottom pan.

Question 3:
For trust training, you may want to look into the immersion sticky at the top of the Rat Behavior forum. It worked wonders for my pair and doing it occasionally after they trust you helps to strengthen the bond. As for introducing, do you mean to you or to each other?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I haven't purchased the rats or the cage yet but I'm trying to keep the cage under $170, and they're fully grown fancy rats I believe, or at least 8-10 months.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
oh! i found one for $124, I've only been looking on amazon since I don't wanna get duped or something, haha.
And I've been reading that thread on immersing them and its super super awesome! Thank you! I've bookmarked it an everything ^^

·
Registered
581 Posts
You're very welcome! :3 I hope you enjoy your new ratties when they arrive!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts