Rat Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a hairless rat a little more than a month ago. It still has a thin amount of hair on his head and over this month he has grown little whiskers and fuzzies all over :D . I noticed his skin had some flaws, impossible to feel but plain to see bumps. Well now his sides are getting an orange tint. I thought it was more fur growing but looking closer i see thats no the case. Where the orange is its a bit rough to the touch. Am I in any danger of losing my rat. Do you think this brings him discomfort and if so what can i do to make it better for him.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
Have you tried bathing him? Just remember to keep him warm in the process.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah, I thought he got into a doritto bag but nothing will wash off of him.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
possible. the orange is like a barrage of freckles. but they werent there when i first got him.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hadnt really read up on the whole buck grease thing. Guess that makes alotta since and Im probably worried over nothing

·
Registered
981 Posts
Unfortunately I haven't had males in such a long time that I am no expert on this.

Pictures would certainly help if you can take them though.

·
Registered
4,535 Posts
COuld be buck grease... what did you use to wash him with?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Aloe Vesta 2-n-1 Perineal Skin Cleanser

Mild, nondrying skin cleanser with aloe vera gel for perineal cleansing. Deodorizing, soothes and mosturizes irritated skin. Alcohol-free and pH balanced.

I got it when i stayed in the hospital a while back.

I didnt want to use shampoo, He's small & hard to controll and I didnt want to goof up and get soap in his eyes. There wouldnt be much use in useing shampoo with him being hairless n all anyway.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
More problems. Like a day or two ago he got loose and he ended up making enough noise that i found him. Well, Today he is poohing out like..silicone. Its like Non sticky jello. Now I know its not actually silicone I don't have that in my room. Im guessing its something he got into and ate. He's not acting weird and he is eating just fine. Doing his same old routine.

·
Registered
520 Posts
...weird? What color is it?

I had a ferret that got out and ate an entire costco container of Licorice. His poo was bright red and looked a little like jell-o.

·
Registered
3,509 Posts
All of my boy hairless (double rex) get exactly the same thing and it's nothing to worry about. A good ole bath should give him back his lovely pink shine :)

Regarding the poo, sometimes one of my girls has a similar thing (very rarely mind) and it's never caused a problem. Is it a lot? Did the poo go back to normal afterwards? That's ususally what happens with mine, it's a tiny poo or two then nothing abnormal

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No its still gel last time i checked but he just ate alot of what ever it was i guess.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts