Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok i just got home and my rat is wheezing really really bad and loud but it looks like its gasping for air but its not i can feel it breath out on my hand. But i also have them in pine bedding(yes i know im bad,im sorry im broke at the moment) i just tried to take her and her sister to an emergency clinic cause it is 1:00 am but they said i had to pay 50 dollars first and cash upfront wtf...no checks or even help...now i had to take them home and the one is still wheezing bad and this is really sad i need some help what to do i dont get paid untill friday.somebody!

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'd definitely say getting them to a vet has to be first priority... rats are very good at hiding their ailments, and so usually by the time they're displaying serious symptoms, it's pretty serious. Beg, borrow, try to find some way to get them into the vet.

Since your rat is obviously having problems breathing, it's time to ditch the pine. Give them anything right now... cut up an old t-shirt into strips, tear up some paper towels, but switch out the pine ASAP... every little bit right now might help. In the future, try to pick up some care-fresh or the like... it's not that much more expensive than pine shavings, and you can buy in different sizes depending on what you can afford for right now.

For now, I'd try to make breathing as easy as possible for your rat... no air fresheners, no perfumes or the like, get the pine out of the cage and get it clean. This probably isn't going to clear up on its own, however, and breathing difficulties to this extreme probably will need a trip to the vet ASAP.

Do you have a vet that you can take them to, first thing in the morning, who may be more lenient with a post dated cheque or the like? Emergency vets might need money upfront because they don't know you, and might never see you again... but if you or your family has a relationship with another vet, they might be more forgiving.

I hope your little guy is okay.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts