Rat Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So heres the deal. I have two rats I got on Thursday January 18th 2008.

Dego is the braver out of the two. He is the first to investigate everything new. He is the biggest pig alive and tends to push Kinq(his brother) around to get himself first in line. When I picked him up to put him in his cage the first day I got him he squeaked and started to panic. I stick my hand in the cage often to allow them to smell me and Dego is the first one to come out and bite it. I wouldnt consider this an aggressive bite more or less a "testing" bite.

Kinq is a bit shyer but slowly getting to be quite bold. I have been able to pet him very briefly on his back with my finger but then he runs into his little house. I try not to do it too much so I dont stress him out because I have had them for less than a week.

Ok so basically here is my big issue. How and what can I do to make them less "hyper" when I try to hold them. Ive tried a couple of times and slowly tried to pick them up but they flail around and squeak like mad rats! Im pretty sure ive asked this question before about the biting but the "eeping" doesnt work at all with them. What can I do to help the processes of my being able to pick them up and play with them?

They are very hyped up still (they are about 2months) and usually at night (haha). I just need someone to tell me what and everything and anything i can do to #1 get them to stop biting and #2(my main objective) To have them to be able to be held without freaking out!

-PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I only got Mavis on Saturday and only last night did she start to let me touch/stroke her while she's out - Altho she did let me stroke her head for ages earlier, but that was because she was cautious of Roxy being about.

I've also tried to pick her up but she either jumps a mile to get out of your hands or squeaks - which scares you to death and therefore makes you stop trying to pick them up, lol.
I think the main thing is just to build their trust. Let them run around on your bed/couch/floor...wherevers safest and just talk to them, try to stroke them. Altho many people on here may not agree, I wouldn't go trying to pick them up straight away.
What I'm doing is letting Mavis be comfortable with me stroking her first, then I'll slowly start to widen where I stroke her - such as down her sides - and slowly putting my hand round her, but not actually gripping or trying to pick her up. When I get to the point where I think she'd be comfortable with me picking her up is the point when I'll actually try to pick her up.

I think all you need to do, is try and make your boys bond with you. Let them have some free range time, while you sit with them trying to stroke them and letting them get used to your hands.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts